remote start issue

Old 02-27-10, 10:56 AM
remote start issue

05 toyota 4 runner, had remote starter put in it when it was new. recenly it stopped working. It will crank the engine but not start it, I can get in and put the key and it starts right up. any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 11:52 AM
If this is an aftermarket product, then you would need the wiring diagrams from the manufacturer of that product. Then test with a multimeter. This would probably be in the installation manual for that specific model remote start.

And learn how the system works - how it should work. What exactly it does via its wires. Then test with a multimeter to be sure it is doing what it should.

Also if it is an add-on aftermarket product, it might be easy to see where the wires run. Might want to inspect those wires/connections. Look for fuses.

How to test fuses...
Testing fuses Page

Old 02-27-10, 12:52 PM
I am not sure I have the diagram I will have to look Also I am not sure the fuel pump is kicking on like it was before. I am going to try to listen again today.

Old 02-27-10, 05:46 PM
The aftermarket starters ( & other stuff) isn't designed to last the life of the car... After 25 years in the auto industry in a Northern climate I've learned that if you want to start you'r car, you should be the one turning the key.. Get out of you'r pajamas & make sure you have Oil pressure & no strange noises when the car starts,, that way you can turn it off when the belt tensioner siezes & the engine won't overheat cus the waterpump doesent turn... Ask my wife... The autostart worked fine, & she said there where no noises,, She was over 100 yards away inside a building,, One engine later, if the next car I look @ buying has an Autostart,, It'll stay on the lot because I won't be buying it.... Just my thoughts,,, Roger