95 Chevy Lumina mini van

Old 02-27-10, 05:34 PM
95 Chevy Lumina mini van

Good Evening,
I have a 95 Chevy Lumina mini van with the 3.8L V6 & are they kidding!.
Can anyone tell me is there an easy way or just away to get to the rear spark plugs?. Does anyone have a trick to doing this?. I mean I have a 70 Chevelle SS with the 396 it's all original but that is easier to get to the spark plugs than this! I bought this mini van & love it for a daily driver but the rear plugs are a joke to get at.
Any tips would be great!.
Thank you
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 06:28 PM
This is the Front Wheel Drive one,, Right,, Not a big deal to replace the rear plugs,, Remove the engine torsion mount & with a small port-a power, jack the engine ahead,, ( or use the special GM tool) than lift the van on the hoist till you can bearly crawl under it & Jam your arm up between the firewall & engine & exhaust to distroy the plug wire getting it off.. Now while still kinda on your knees, take a 5/8 plug socket & extension up there so you can drop it & break your front tooth.. Once you have your tooth fixed & get the socket on,, you find there isn't room to turn the ratchet... You then use an open end wrench on the end of the plug socket (hope yours has it) to find the wrench doesent have room to turn,, You cut your good "Snap-On" wrench in 1/2 to get on the plug to get it to turn & you find it's not long enough to loosten the next one..... Etc,,Etc,, Seriously,, Good Luck... This is one good example why I left the Automotive Repair trade to work on a Nuclear Reactor... Lot less hazards @ the reactor... Roger

Old 02-27-10, 06:44 PM
Worked with some friends on a 97 Ford Explorer the other day trying to change the spark plugs...

The two rear spark plugs on the passenger side were a ROYAL PAIN!

We had to remove the passenger wheel and the mud guard, then approach them from the side and under. And then it was like described above. The tools were too long or too short. Nothing could fit in there, etc. Kept dropping tools.

Luckily one of the guys was a welder and was used to contorting himself into uncomfortable positions. He got the two plugs out. Then someone else spent the next hour getting the two new plugs in!

Yes that is right, two hours to replace just those two spark plugs!

Old 02-27-10, 07:05 PM
LOL still going from hopkins post but pretty much correct you do have to remove the front torque arm and rock the motor to get to them.
Good Luck

Old 02-28-10, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
This is the Front Wheel Drive one,, Right,, Not a big deal to replace the rear plugs,, Remove the engine torsion mount & with a small port-a power, jack the engine ahead,, ( or use the special GM tool) than lift the van on the hoist till you can bearly crawl under it & Jam your arm up between the firewall & engine & exhaust to distroy the plug wire getting it off.. Now while still kinda on your knees, take a 5/8 plug socket & extension up there so you can drop it & break your front tooth.. Once you have your tooth fixed & get the socket on,, you find there isn't room to turn the ratchet... You then use an open end wrench on the end of the plug socket (hope yours has it) to find the wrench doesent have room to turn,, You cut your good "Snap-On" wrench in 1/2 to get on the plug to get it to turn & you find it's not long enough to loosten the next one..... Etc,,Etc,, Seriously,, Good Luck... This is one good example why I left the Automotive Repair trade to work on a Nuclear Reactor... Lot less hazards @ the reactor... Roger
Gee I guess it's not that easy I had a 94 lumina mini van with the 3.1L V6 & I did it all from the top so I guess the 3.8 is a little harder.
I have a good dental plan not worried about that & if I'm going to change plugs I would change the wires also but what I think I'll do is use my friends shop one night after hours & use his lifts & his tools.
Thank you for your warning LOL.
Will,

Old 03-12-10, 04:56 PM
3.8 litre vin L verse the 3.1 vin m

i haven't worked on cars since 87 when the guy i worked for retired and sold out. i went into the parts end and till got disabled was parts manager for cadillc and now defunct olds (it's not your fathers oldsmobile - what they meant is it's not anyones oldsmobile they killed them all off what a loss at least before they started streamlining all the makes ). anyway that 3.8 is a buick based engine and in that van though maybe more of a inconvenience for service really what the u body vans needed for power as the 3.1 was way underpowered in that heavy body. anyway why i write was just to say the toolthat mounts in where you disconnect the front dogbone though gm for all it's franchises had one made up. it's really nice you hook it in then tighten it up and it pulls engine up. for various things was made by a company called kent-moore and if you cannot get it thru them with search on google. snap on and the technician tool companies have available as maybe does craftsmen maybe worth getting if your going to keep awhile.

Old 03-12-10, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by timman050 View Post
i haven't worked on cars since 87 when the guy i worked for retired and sold out. i went into the parts end and till got disabled was parts manager for cadillc and now defunct olds (it's not your fathers oldsmobile - what they meant is it's not anyones oldsmobile they killed them all off what a loss at least before they started streamlining all the makes ). anyway that 3.8 is a buick based engine and in that van though maybe more of a inconvenience for service really what the u body vans needed for power as the 3.1 was way underpowered in that heavy body. anyway why i write was just to say the toolthat mounts in where you disconnect the front dogbone though gm for all it's franchises had one made up. it's really nice you hook it in then tighten it up and it pulls engine up. for various things was made by a company called kent-moore and if you cannot get it thru them with search on google. snap on and the technician tool companies have available as maybe does craftsmen maybe worth getting if your going to keep awhile.
Thank you for that I'll have to check it out I never heard of anything like that. Now I'm getting a check engine light on her I mean this has been going on for the last six months but the other day my younger sister got so huffy cause I won't let her drive my 70 Chevelle SS for one thing she never drove standard before for another thing the Chevelle is in storage but I guess she was asking about summer.
Well anyway she cursed the van & it was running great with the check engine light on but after that now at 40mph it has a miss but when I get on her she has plenty of power but the other day I was at a red light & noticed the idle is rough not real bad.
So I did not know you can't just jump the terminals like the old computers this thing need a scan tool to get the codes & there mad money.
Ya my father bought a brand new 77 Olds Cutlass I loved that water fall grill I remember being in the show room & there was a beautiful 77 442 I mean I know it did not have the brute force of the late 60's earlie 70's but I think she had a 401 ci in her I was trying to talk my father into that car.
You know 3 years latter when I was 16 I took my road test on that car I have always been a Chevy fan but loved the 442 & Doctor Olds but now my father is gone the car is gone but I still have the original owners manual & paper work for that car if I'm not mistaken in 76-77 didn't the cutlass dominate NASCAR? Ya I have no idea why they dropped Olds I guess it's just the times.
Anyway Thank you for that I'll check into it & since I can't afford a new car I'm keeping her as long as I can I like that they don't rust
Thank you again!
Will,