Ford Triton damage/compatability

Old 02-28-10, 09:53 PM
Ford Triton damage/compatability

I've got a 2000, 2 wheel drive Ford F250 . I damaged the part where the oil filter screws on to (oil filter adapter). Looks like to change it its a couple large bolts, and you'd have to jack the motor to remove the motor mount. Regardless it appears there are two styles. On my motor the oil filter is on the dead bottom of the motor and screws up vertically to the block. I posted an ad for parts motors and two people have a Triton that uses a remote type filter. From what I understand the filter is up front under the hood and has hoses that run back to where the filter usually goes.I can buy exactly what I have from the Ford dealership for 180. Or I can buy this "remote" style off a parts motor for $20. I'm wondering what the possibility is that they are interchangeable, considering they are both triton motors. I wonder if this remote filter has a plate that bolts right up to where I'll be removing my damaged oil filter adapter. Sure wouldn't mind being able to change my oil filter just by popping the hood. If anyone has any input, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-10, 10:39 PM
On the 10 or 8 cyl model the only difference is three front bolts and one back one the 8 or 4 front bolts and one back on the 10 cly the cooling system runs through both so your looking at draining the cooling system as well if this adapter attaches to the block like the current one make sure its of the same engine.You will also have to swap the oil press sender from one to the other.Here is the procedure for the 10 cyl
Removal

1. Remove the LH engine mount.
2. Drain the engine oil and remove the oil bypass filter.
3. Drain the engine cooling system.
4. Disconnect the oil pressure sender electrical connector.
5. Remove the oil pressure sender.
6. Slide back the hose clamp and disconnect the lower radiator hose from the oil filter adapter.
7. Remove the bolts.
8. Remove the rear nut and the oil filter adapter and discard the gasket.

Installation

1. Note: Clean and inspect the mating surfaces and install new gaskets.
Position the oil filter adapter and install the rear bolt.
2. Install the four front bolts.
3. Position the lower radiator hose on the oil filter adapter and install the clamp.
4. Install the oil pressure sender.
5. Connect the oil pressure sender electrical connector.
6. Install the oil bypass filter.
7. Install the LH engine mount.
8. Fill and bleed the cooling system.
9. Fill the engine with Super Premium SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G.
I just hope that the remote adapter your looking at doesn't attach to the damaged part of your current adapter.The 8 cyl is the same with that exception I'd said before.
Good Luck