2001 Pontiac Bonneville rear wheel bearing

Old 03-03-10, 03:52 AM
2001 Pontiac Bonneville rear wheel bearing

Does anyone have step by step procedure for replacing my right rear wheel bearing hub assembly on my 2001 Bonneville SE with ABS? Should both sides be done? Does it require any special tools? Also, I have found a wide range of prices and am on a very limited budget. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-10, 09:31 AM
If your go to autozone.com and look under the repair manuals, alot of times the show how to repairs with instructions and pictures. These are free to anyone online.

Old 03-03-10, 02:12 PM
Bearings are parts that aren't replaced in axle sets. The other side doesn't need to be replaced along with the bad bearing. At our company, for warranty claims, we don't allow both bearings to be replaced if only one has gone bad.

Old 03-03-10, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme_57 View Post
Does anyone have step by step procedure for replacing my right rear wheel bearing hub assembly on my 2001 Bonneville SE with ABS? Should both sides be done? Does it require any special tools? Also, I have found a wide range of prices and am on a very limited budget. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Autozone would be one resource. No connection to either of these sites. You might want to ask this same question over at Pontiac Bonneville Forum - Official home of the Pontiac Bonneville Club. and http://www.pontiactalk.com. You'll need to sign up to search I think. As for me, I've have knowledge about that engine, but nothing about that axle.

Old 03-03-10, 08:44 PM
Notes

Wheel Bearing/Hub Replacement - Rear

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the tire and wheel.
3. Remove the brake rotor.
4. Remove the antilock brake electrical connector.
5. Remove the wheel bearing and hub retaining bolts from the control arm.
6. Remove the wheel bearing and hub assembly from the control arm.
7. Remove the brake shield from the control arm.
8. Clean the control arm face and the bore before installing the wheel bearing and hub assembly.

Installation Procedure.

1. Install the brake shield and the wheel bearing and hub assembly to the control arm with the retaining bolts. Be careful not to drop the hub and the bearing, as it could be damaged. Reconnect the ABS sensor.

o Tighten the wheel bearing and hub retaining bolts to 70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.) .

2. Install the brake rotor.
3. Install the wheel and the tire.
4. Lower the vehicle.

The antilock should be held in place by a 8mm allen head bolt and the hub bolts are 18 to 21 mm (depends on place of manufacture)The only pain in this job is if the old hub is rusted in the longest I have had to pound and pry till I could get the thing off was 3.5 hrs but on that one the hub was destroyed and was the extreme for the most part a couple taps with a hammer will get'r loose.
Good Luck
Welcome to the forum!!!

Old 01-05-12, 03:20 PM
a few taps my butt!!!, im plugging away at hour 4 now lol. ive broken the sensor connection housing off and exposed the bearing insides. but even with beating on that, im still not getting anywhere. any suggestions?