91 lumina engine noisy lifters good oil pressure

Old 03-03-10, 04:32 PM
91 lumina engine noisy lifters good oil pressure

I have a 91 lumina 3.1 297,000 miles ran very good until the engine started rattling sounds like noisy lifters no oil on push rods,has good oil pressure. It idles good but misses above 3,500 RPMs like a rev limiter. Changed oil filter add sea foam,wd40 didn't help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-10, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think at 300,000 miles, gasoline engines have a tendency to be going south by then. Could be due to any one component or many up in the valvetrain. If say the outer hardened protective layer of the camshaft were gone and you had cam wear, that would cause one or several valves to not lift as much anymore and act like a rev limiter. However, so could any slop between parts up there.

Motor honey, by various names, might help some. Might be hard on the engine though if it still gets real cold at night where you are.

Old 03-05-10, 01:12 AM
Lifters are misdiagnosed commonly as the source of many noises when in reality they are quite trouble free. Dirt contamination on a sludged engine is the number one cause of true lifter noises, low oil pressure is number two but since you have good oil pressure, you can scrap it out.

Old 03-05-10, 01:45 AM
With 300K on it I think you got your moneys worth...warranty is up, good job..LOL! Maybe try some Marvel Mystery Oil, I have used it in the past to clear out sludge. Motor Honey is thick like honey, MMO is thin like a solvent. What the heck, at 300K what do you have to lose?

Old 03-05-10, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by drgansen View Post
I have a 91 lumina 3.1 297,000 miles ran very good until the engine started rattling sounds like noisy lifters no oil on push rods,has good oil pressure. It idles good but misses above 3,500 RPMs like a rev limiter. Changed oil filter add sea foam,wd40 didn't help.
This car ran like it was new last week, all lifters or diesel noise started all of a sudden, still has 60PSI oil presssure. Could a cam bearing have spun stopping oil flow, I would think it should be broke in by now!

Old 03-05-10, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe weak valvesprings. Then they start to float above 3500 rpm.

Old 03-22-10, 03:38 PM
The cam was two teeth out if time, I put in a new timing chain run good agian.

Thanks for your help