4 wheel drive not working

Old 03-03-10, 07:23 PM
4 wheel drive not working

I have a 4x4 2002 Ford Ranger that will not operate in the 4wheel drive mode. The 4 wheel drive is engaged by turning a rotary switch that is located to the left of my heater controls on the dash. The switch is labeled 2H, 4H, 4L. An indicator light comes on when the different ranges are selected. When I engaged recently, no lights appeared, no noise could be heard and the truck will not come out of 2wheel drive. I drove the truck to confirm this and the truck was still in 2wheel drive. Fuses all check out, including the ones under the hood. I can check for voltages at the switch if I know which if any terminals should have voltage. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-10, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by 01brothb View Post
I have a 4x4 2002 Ford Ranger that will not operate in the 4wheel drive mode. The 4 wheel drive is engaged by turning a rotary switch that is located to the left of my heater controls on the dash. The switch is labeled 2H, 4H, 4L. An indicator light comes on when the different ranges are selected. When I engaged recently, no lights appeared, no noise could be heard and the truck will not come out of 2wheel drive. I drove the truck to confirm this and the truck was still in 2wheel drive. Fuses all check out, including the ones under the hood. I can check for voltages at the switch if I know which if any terminals should have voltage. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
Ford, and other makes, have this problem. It is most likely the switch on the transfer case. Many times I have advised people to crawl under the truck and have someone energize the switch while you lightly tap on the selenoid housing. Of course EXTREME CAUTION must be taken with a trusted person in the vehicle. Many times this works and if you make a practice of engaging the 4x4 every week or so you may not have any more problems.
Of course, this is a might work case and is definately not perminant.
Most likely the selenoid needs replacement.

Old 03-03-10, 09:30 PM
The switch is not in direct control of the transfer case on that one there is a control module located on pass side in the kick panel that tells the transfer case motor what to do.Since the lights don't function(even 2WD?) That is the likely target if the lights lit but no engagement I'd look at the case motor or front axle actuator.Try Giles's first but have a feeling your looking at a bad module.
Good Luck

Old 03-04-10, 12:41 AM
i had a slightly off topic but somehow related prob before, every time I push the button for 4 wheel drive it skips over it and never goes into 4 wheel drive mode. what i did was to disconnect the battery then it restarted by itself.

Old 03-04-10, 06:25 AM
If all else fails, a factory service manual set of books would have detailed testing instructions for everything including how to test the switch with a multimeter. Be sure to get all books in the set including electrical diagrams. You can order these from a dealer or helminc.com

They cost around $150 for the set, but you get what you pay for. This is the same information they use at the dealers for troubleshooting (although theirs is all on computer).

Old 03-04-10, 06:53 AM
I noticed when the 4wheel drive was activated before, I would here a short clicking noise under the dash as the 4wheel was engaged and disengaged which could be the module you were referring to. I may need information on finding and identifying and testing this module. Thanks for the response to this thread.