1988 yugo gvl

Old 03-04-10, 12:20 PM
1988 yugo gvl

just purchased w a few issues engine overheats and leaks motor oil not coolent. white smoke from exhaust. would a bottle of engine stop leak fix this. i'm hoping its just worn gaskets and nothing else. also fuel guage doesn't work. please give some additional helpful advise for added repairs thank you good day!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-10, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well Dan...I'd say dump a couple of bottles of whatever you want in there...but don't expect much. You purchased what is probably one of the absolute worst cars ever imported and its 22 y/o. I wouldn't do more than keep dumping in fluids until it expires.

They do say you need to change the timing belt every 40K miles or the engine can self destruct..but I imagine its not a big job. Its basically a motorcycle engine and parts are pretty cheap.

I know thats not real helpful...but if you paid more than $100 I'd consider it a ripoff. Hey..if it runs for 6 months..I'd call it a bargain.

Old 03-04-10, 01:16 PM
1988 yugo gvl

the previous owner put a new timing belt in it before he sold it to me

Old 03-04-10, 04:57 PM
Dan, I think that Gunguy 45 is giving you pretty good advice. With coolant getting into the cylinders and possible overheating damage you more than likely are dealing with a need to replace a cylinder head (cracked or warped) or at least the head gasket. What does the oil look like? Is there coolant in it also? All that along with one or more gaskets/seals to stop the oil leak and then what else is going on with the engine like other damage and wear out if the oil is contaminated, or if the engine is just worn out. Are parts even available for this beast, and if so are they going to cost more than the car? You could always pull out the entire power train, make it a project car and drop something else in with a ton of power that you could shoe horn in and make a 'sleeper' ride out of it and have some fun at the red lights. You could also do a 'Top Gear' stunt and drive it over a cliff (best to jump out first) and see if it will start after it hits the bottom and rolls over 47 times. Make a video for You Tube. That alone might be worth in entertainment value what you paid for it.

Old 03-04-10, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't they have emmissions testing in Fla.? If so, that alone could be the death knell.

Also, with any vehicle that age, you'd want a throrough under body evaluation, as often chincy cars are made where key parts, like axles and front ends, are only anchored to unibody structures that if they go bad there, cannot be repaired. If rust in key areas under there, you could be driving a death trap.

Old 03-04-10, 08:02 PM
1988 yugo gvl

also previous owner did put a new radiator and its componants there is no coolent leakage just motor oil leaking gushing out of the top splattering the hood of the car through a hose that leads to the manifold

Old 03-05-10, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Rings may be shot causing a lot of blow-by into the crankcase. Plus as others mentioned possible blown head gasket.

I don't even know where I would look for parts for a Yugo.

No emission testing in FL.

Old 03-05-10, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post

No emission testing in FL.
How lucky that some states or parts of states don't have that, because that gives poor people in states without that testing to drive belching junkers. It's kind of unfair. Then again, so is having the death penalty in some states, and not in others.

Old 03-06-10, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Surprisingly few belching junkers; I remember when I was a teenager seemed half the cars on the road were old beaters. I'm thinking maybe it's harder to keep an old beater running now (with the electronics, $500 fuel pumps, etc) than it was back then.

Old 03-06-10, 07:19 AM
Sounds like a few problems. The white smoke sounds like water(anti freeze) is water is getting in and being burned, if that's the case then Barr's Stop Leak will seal the cylinder head for a while. The oil is anybody's guess. Let's hope that the Communists build bombs as good as they build cars

Old 03-06-10, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Surprisingly few belching junkers; I remember when I was a teenager seemed half the cars on the road were old beaters. I'm thinking maybe it's harder to keep an old beater running now (with the electronics, $500 fuel pumps, etc) than it was back then.
I think you are right. I remember rusted out heaps that were only 5-10 years old. And it was more common to hear cars that be misfiring. Today plugs can go like 100,000 miles in some cars. Not back then. The entire car had a hard time lasting that long.

Old 03-06-10, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by mgmine View Post
Sounds like a few problems. The white smoke sounds like water(anti freeze) is water is getting in and being burned, if that's the case then Barr's Stop Leak will seal the cylinder head for a while. The oil is anybody's guess. Let's hope that the Communists build bombs as good as they build cars
I'd like to hear Dan explain more about that smoke. On my present '90, I would say that it steams excessively, especially when cold (probably a bigger crack or gasket gap then), but does not, what I'd say, 'smoke'. The difference is it does not leave a lingering cloud. It is more like other cars on cold damp mornings, but I just have more OF it.

Now on my '91(same engine) - that REALLY went south with oil consumption and coolant loss. That thing was really billowing. With my car parked next to a big field - when I ran the car it wafted all the way across about 400 feet of field, in a cloud, without really disappating.

Possible theory is that the '91 was burning it in the cylinder because I had a plug that was getting steamcleaned, unlike my '90. Maybe my '90 has the crack/gap more above the exhaust valve and it is going more directly into the exhaust. I really wrecked the '91 when I decided to tighten the headblots with a cheater pipe, to hopefully crush the head gasket more. Instead either I cracked the metal, or the probable rusty ring in the gasket split open worse, and the cylinder started to flood with coolant.

Old 03-06-10, 08:23 AM
Buy two or three more of the same year or a different year in the same series and use the parts to make a unit restored if you have the ability and can make it original. New paint, good glass, clean and paint all steel suspension and reupholster and replace "trunk" flooring/carpet.

Then take it to the annual Barret Jackson auto auction and sell it for good money because it is actually a "folk" vehicle with some real value to the right bidder. - Keep it truly original and no second thoughts on substituting, since customs are big losers.

Dick

Old 03-06-10, 03:08 PM
1988 yugo gvl

no there's no antifreeze getting in the engine. the radiator and its componants are new like i said from the previous owner. i checked the coolent level and its a ok not asign of a leak there.

Old 03-06-10, 04:41 PM
Have you tried to remove a cover where you pour oil in the crankcase(valvecover?) and see if it stays under a lot of positive pressure or oil fumes/smoke comes out of that, even after the engine warms up?

Have you checked if that car has a PCV valve and if it is stuck or if it works?

What does inside where the air cleaner is, look like? is it oily in there?

Also the spark plugs. Are any oil fouled?

The smoke is only white?, and not blue-tinged?

Old 03-07-10, 09:25 AM
1988 yugo gvl

the air cleaner is oily. oil gushes out of hose that is in front of the air filter cover

Old 03-07-10, 12:43 PM
1988 yugo gvl

what does the pcv valve look like & where is it located

Old 03-07-10, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Try looking at Autozone.com.....plenty of info

btw...no PCV valve on this POS....

One question...whats your skill level with mechanical/automotive repairs....

Old 03-07-10, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dan Hoagy View Post
the air cleaner is oily. oil gushes out of hose that is in front of the air filter cover
Yep, as suggested by someone else, your crankcase is under a lot of positive(blowby) pressure. A sign of a worn out engine.

To give you some idea. My car has over 200,000 miles and at cold start up, with the oil-fill cover left off, there is a wind that blows out of mine. But it rather quickly settles down to be alternating pulsations of blowing and sucking, as the engine warms. If I gently set the cap over the hole, the cap actually seems to be drawn IN toward the cover.

But on yours, your cap might fly up in the air like a geyser. I have a PCV valve that helps with the suction at high vacuum idle - where according to Gg, you don't.

I wonder if under your valve cover, if you have a shield. I know years ago they did not have them on cars. But with the shield, that prevents direct oil spray from coming out both the pcv and the other breather tube (a typical car has ), and also can allow any excess oil flying off the moving parts to drop back down ontop the parts, and also help keep oil from as easily getting out the valve cover gasket, I'd imagine.

Old 03-07-10, 05:06 PM
1988 yugo gvl

went into autozone.com and it says that this vehicle 1988 yugo does not have a pcv valve.

Old 03-08-10, 07:50 AM
1988 yugo gvl

you's havent yet answerd my question what to do about the fuel level gauge inaccuracy

Old 03-08-10, 09:38 AM
If you just want it as a daily driver and go from point "A" to point "B" and have an odometer, you do not really need an accurate fuel gauge, since few are really accurate anyway.

Keep track of what the mileage is when you fill up and if you know the usable capacity (not total capacity) of the tank you can develop a feel for the usable range on a fill-up.

For your apparent needs, no sense in trying to get a perfect fuel gauge, considering the cost and other things that will eventually be more important.

A Yugo is just a "folksie" 4 wheels and basic (even if unsafe) transportation unless you can make a buck from the nostalgia snobs that want one like new and will pay over $20,000 for it..

Dick

Old 03-08-10, 09:40 AM
Dan I am not sure if you have any needle movement regarding the fuel level or not or if it just stays on empty. If there is no reading or movement perhaps the tank sender's wire harness connection is off, corroded or broken. The sender may also be gone by now assuming also that there are also no dead fuses that you haven't found.

Old 03-08-10, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
Have to agree with Dick; the guage on my wrecker is pretty much useless. Full tank reads about 1/4 and after 40 miles of driving it's bottomed out. I just annotate mileage when I fill up and get gas every 200 miles or so.

Search this Thread