97 Malibu-something is knocking

Old 03-08-10, 06:10 AM
97 Malibu-something is knocking

In the morning when first starting the car I can hear either the valves ticking or a rod knocking. The sound increases as you give it gas. After warming up, the sound goes away. It is worse the colder the weather.

I have just had the oil changed about two months ago, and it does not need any to added. The car has no loss in power. I would take it to a dealer, but the noise would be gone by the time I got there. We only have one car, so I can not leave it anywhere over night.

Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

Many thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How many miles are on the car?

Could it be lifter noise?

Old 03-08-10, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
How many miles are on the car?

Could it be lifter noise?

Just over 100,000. It could be lifter noise, I quess. Is there and additive that I could use?

Many thanks for your reply....

Old 03-08-10, 07:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe doing an oil flush with an additive for that job might reap some benefits. Maybe sludge has creeped into upper passageways and reduced the oils ability to get through the maze when oil is cold and stiff. There have been petroleum distillate additives, to quiet lifters, on the market for years. You could try that. The fact when it warms up that it goes away sounds promising - as any real undo wear on valve train components may not be the issue.

Are you using the weight oil the car recommends?(perhaps 5-30?), and not a thicker one(10-40)? - especially in the winter months.

BTW -if you had a rod knock, you would know it. A dreaded sound to here. That sounds way beyond ticking......clunking, mor elike it....... like a rod may come right out the side of the block is, more like it. The culprit can be found by unplugging one spark plug wire at a time. The clunk reduces or stops when that cylinder no longer has an explosion inside.