2005 Camry Vehicle Speed Sensor bad Code 0500

Old 03-08-10, 10:36 AM
Question 2005 Camry Vehicle Speed Sensor bad Code 0500

Hello,

Drove my Camry one morning and all kinds of problems - first shifting the gears automatic did not happen - then it did happen and speedometer quit working. Had local shop check out and code is 0500 - which is the vehicle speed sensor is bad - Just so others know. Local place wanted $489 to fix it - brought it home. Ordered replacement part for $95.98 over the internet. Now I need the O-ring that should be replaced with it. So plan to go over to Toyota parts store to get that O-ring - and then plan to do this myself. This car is not part of the recall from Toyota.

It looks like an easy job except for everything that has to be moved out of the way - the air intake - etc. So the labor must have been why the cost was so high at local shop - plus the OEM part cost approx. $165 and that is what they had planned to use they said.

Is there anything I am missing here? Before I get into doing this myself? It looks like a cut and dry job - but maybe I am missing something and would love to have some feedback on what problems I could run into before I get started. Does anyone know the O-ring that goes there (size) (shape) because I don't want to take it apart just to see it - yet I thought I could go down the street to an auto store and get it if I knew what was in there. Any feedback is appreciated.

Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 12:42 PM
If you want detailed troubleshooting and replacement instructions (the same instructions they would use at the dealer for troubleshooting and replacement), you can order a factory service manual set of books from the dealer.

This would show you *where* the sensor was located as well as give you troubleshooting instructions. It would also show wire routing from that sensor, wire colors, connectors, and their locations.

And this is probably a "pulsed signal". You could probably test for the signal with a multimeter set on AC volts. The faster you go, the higher the voltage.

Factory service manual sets can have 4 separate books. Like a general service manual, and electrical diagrams manual, a fuel and emissions book (engine computer stuff), and unit repair.

And I frequently need to consult a couple of books for one problem. If you only have one book from the set, I can't see as how you could do much with that! (Be sure to get all the books in the set...)

Old 03-08-10, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't say 4 or 6 cyl, but to answer your question, no it should not be a difficult job. Did my wife's previous Camry and I think it was electrical connector and one bolt other than moving the other stuff out of the way.

Unless I'm missing something, the $489 sounds just a bit steep to me; with the oem part $165 that would be $300 for labor. I can't image three hours to do the job.

Be sure to post back how it goes and any tips for anyone attempting the job.

Old 03-09-10, 12:03 AM
Just so you know looked up the labor on that and it was .8 not even an hr! Think somebody is trying to line the Ol' pockets that is one h*** of a mark up. LOL.
TRANSMISSION REVOLUTION SENSOR (ATM)

REPLACEMENT

REMOVE BATTERY
REMOVE AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY
REMOVE AIR CLEANER HOSE
REMOVE AIR CLEANER BRACKET
REMOVE AIR CLEANER INLET
REMOVE TRANSMISSION REVOLUTION SENSOR (NT SENSOR)
Disconnect the speed sensor connector.
Remove the bolt and transmission revolution sensor.

REMOVE TRANSMISSION REVOLUTION SENSOR (NC SENSOR)
Disconnect the speed sensor connector.
Remove the bolt and transmission revolution sensor.

INSTALL TRANSMISSION REVOLUTION SENSOR (NC SENSOR)
Coat an O-ring with ATF.
Install the speed sensor with the bolt. Torque: 11 Nm (110 kgf-cm, 8 ft. lbs.) (U151E) 8.8 Nm (90 kgf-cm,78 inch lbs.) (U250E) HINT: Make sure of the manufacturer's name.
Connect the speed sensor connector.

INSTALL TRANSMISSION REVOLUTION SENSOR (NT SENSOR)
Coat an O-ring with ATF.
Install the speed sensor with the bolt. Torque: 11 Nm (110 kgf-cm, 8 ft. lbs.) HINT: Make sure of the manufacturer's name.
Connect the speed sensor connector.
INSTALL AIR CLEANER INLET NO.1
INSTALL AIR CLEANER BRACKET
INSTALL AIR CLEANER HOSE NO.1
INSTALL AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY
INSTALL BATTERY
Does look like there are two different ones so make sure you match up the manufactures names and put the right one in the right place.
Good Luck

Old 03-09-10, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the look-up, Maniac; I was thinking I did the job on wife's old 4 cyl Camry in about a half hour.

Old 03-11-10, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the information and directions - The camry is a V6 sports edition -

Old 03-11-10, 02:35 PM
The speed sensor I bought said it was for my engine - so hope that means I have the right one - will see soon - got side tracked with my Mom having surgery -

Old 03-15-10, 11:46 AM
I did it - works great -

I did it - I changed the speed sensor and did the complete job by myself. That is the first time I have ever worked on a car from start to finish and did it myself. Usually have someone that can help me out - a guy that knows stuff.

I am so proud of myself. I did find that there were two plugs that look very similar. In fact, I pulled the wrong one first and compared to my part and it just didn't look right. Then over to the right looking down I saw the other one. I replaced it - put everything back - and NO PARTS WERE LEFT OVER. The boring part is putting it all back together, and the fun part is getting into it. Did not even take ONE hour - fast and easy.

Test drove it - and it is working fine - saved money and increased my ego, and impressed my husband. Thank you for everything on this forum.

Susan K.

Old 03-15-10, 12:12 PM
That is advanced repair work! (When you can take something apart, put it back together, and no parts left over! )

Anyway that's all there is to it. Get the right tools, use the right instructions, then you can do a lot of stuff.

Congratulations!