2001 chevy cav wheel bearing

Old 03-08-10, 03:55 PM
2001 chevy cav wheel bearing

I have replaced the drivers side front wheel bearing 3 times it keeps going bad in about month what else could be bad, everything else appears to be fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you the one doing the work?

I was of the opinion that with these front wheel drive cars today, you had to replace the hub.

I have yet had to do anything with any front wheel car I have owned -yet. But I have plenty of experience (and bad experiences) with the old cars where you could do the front wheel bearings.

Can you explain for us, if you did it yourself, what procedure you take?

Old 03-08-10, 11:40 PM
Either A, your getting bum parts or B, the axle nut is getting torqued too tight thats about all it can be that is a hub assbly. on that one.You can't really over tighten the hub mount bolts (allen head bolts) and they have no effect on the hub bearing itself. Make sure the bore for the hub assbly. is clean and free of rust(possible crush point) and don't hit the new hub with a "hard face" hammer to seat it.The axle nut only gets 144 ft lbs (less than an F-350's lug nuts)and the hub bolts are @ 68 ft lbs.
Good Luck

Old 03-09-10, 06:58 AM
Yes iam doing the an Iam replacing the whole wheel bearing hub assembly. As far as axle nut i run it down with impact, so maybe Iam over torquing it, I do clean out housing, I would never hit with a hammer I use hub bolts to draw it in evenly.

Old 03-09-10, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by stic View Post
Yes iam doing the an Iam replacing the whole wheel bearing hub assembly. As far as axle nut i run it down with impact, so maybe Iam over torquing it, I do clean out housing, I would never hit with a hammer I use hub bolts to draw it in evenly.
Cool glad to hear it! Sounds like over torque or bum parts is the problem. The standard Impact gun puts out about 200 ft lbs some more. Snug it up with the gun and hand torque since that is a "stake" nut. There really is no reason to ratttle it down if staked properly even 80 to 90 ft lbs isn't going to cause any problems the only thing your holding in place is the axle asbly. and that is splined nothing is going to fall off unless severe other issues occure in the front end first.
Good Luck

Old 03-12-10, 03:38 PM
You could also be way out of alingment putting excesive pressure on the bearing.

Old 03-13-10, 07:11 AM
Tires have even wear on them.