my65 lincoln

Old 03-10-10, 06:33 PM
my65 lincoln

my 1965 licoln hesitates when rapid acelleration tune up was done changed wires spark plug were changed about two years 500 miles ago it comes and goes help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-10, 07:15 PM
Accelerator pump in the carb will cause this if the carb hasn't been worked on for a while it probably still has the old leather seal and they shrink out over time. The second reason I think this is the problem is sounds like shes parked a lot.(500 miles in two years) I'd make sure you have good fuel and filter as well.Does it also stall out on an incline? Then you will be looking at a stuck float as well. I don't think you have a fuel pump issue since the only drviabilty issue you mentioned is acceleration.
Good Luck

Old 03-11-10, 07:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The good ole days when there were carbs. ( I was younger and thought car stuff was neat then, that's why). I second the motion, and thought of the same stuff, before reading the reply.

Old 03-12-10, 10:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
However a carb is something you shouldn't touch if you don't know what you are doing with it. Got a laugh from a neighbor when i asked him how to get a carb mounting nut out of the intake manifold. Apparently that is a common problem because there was a picture of it on the package of the flexible rod with a magnet on the head.

Old 03-12-10, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
However a carb is something you shouldn't touch if you don't know what you are doing with it. Got a laugh from a neighbor when i asked him how to get a carb mounting nut out of the intake manifold. Apparently that is a common problem because there was a picture of it on the package of the flexible rod with a magnet on the head.
What???????

Common.......NEsportsfan.....
Take the plunge dude!
Unbolt that carb, dismantle it and dump the parts into a bucket of solvent, clean them, then put it back together.
In every rebuild kit is a detailed illustration of the assembly and with the Internet and this site if you get stuck can help you out.
Keep in mind it's not a beating heart or brain surgery it's just a carburator.
It's the only way to learn.........lol

Old 03-12-10, 04:33 PM
accel pump

if i remember right those accelerator pumps did'nt require carb. dissasembly but were serviced behind kind of a sqaure shaped piece with 4 small bolts in each corner on the side if i remember right it's been awhile. has an external lever that contacts the plunger the comes thru a hole in the center and moves horizontally rather then up and down. this part is also available seperately. another thing that might bear checking is to make sure they hooked your vacumn advance back up if they checked timing. the vacumn tank with a little steel port coming off that should have vacumn hose. especially if it only started acting up after tune up.

Old 03-12-10, 05:48 PM
Nice car.
Could check accelerator pump roughly by looking down the carb and have someone step on the gas pedal. You should see a steady jet of fuel squirt out down into the engine like a squirt gun.
That wont be a conclusive test because the squirt has to be timed just right and the right duration of time.
But if you see no squirt or a dribble then thats fact of the accelerato pump gone south.
Father test drove a 65 when I was young. I wished he got it but he did not.
And talk about nuts in the intake. I once dropped a wing nut in the intake when I was helping a motorist we knew.
I did not know and we figured it fell on the gravel or somewhere and he drove off. Later he told me the car made a lot of rattling in one side of engine. That wingnut made its way to a piston
That was about a 73 Lincon Mark??? with the 460.

Let us know if you see the "squirt"

Search this Thread