Lumina APV CEL

Old 03-14-10, 05:16 AM
Lumina APV CEL

Good Morning,
I have a 95 Lumina APV with the 3.8L the check engine light has been comming on for about 6 months now but no running problem.
Until a week ago what she does is hesitate at 40 mph under 40 she is fine acceleration is great @ red light maybe a little rough idle not much. Yesterday on the highway at 65 no problem up hills no problem but just at a steady 40 mph she feels like she is bucking, jerking.
I tried Sea Foam nothing.
My question is has anyone had this problem before?.
I should get a scan tool & see what the code is but hate to spend that money & before I bring her into a shop & really get dumped on I thought I would first see if anyone has any ideas as the factory is slow right now so I would like to see if there is anything I can check.
Thank you!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-10, 09:47 AM
Do the regular maintenance on the car. Change air, fuel filters.

Change oil and oil filter as you should.

Check fluid levels.

Change spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap / rotor as needed (if you have that).

Do other regular maintenance as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer depending on mileage. Look in owner's manual.

Some auto parts stores will read your codes for free.

WRITE down the code(s) and post them back here.

If you don't do regular maintenance on a vehicle (as recommended by the manufacturer), it will have problems.

And I stick this into my budget. Every 6 months or so is "car month".

They also have simple books on vehicle maintenance for your specifc vehicle sold at auto parts stores. Many libraries have these as well. This would teach you the basics of regular maintenance.

Old 03-14-10, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
EGR comes to mind (since the one in my wrecker recently died). Some of your symptoms are similar although not all. Ignition modules can do wacky stuff like that as well but won't always light the CEL. As Bill says, get a code read and go from there; it may not tell you anything useful, but it's always a good place to start when the light is on.

Old 03-14-10, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Bill190 View Post
Do the regular maintenance on the car. Change air, fuel filters.

Change oil and oil filter as you should.

Check fluid levels.

Change spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap / rotor as needed (if you have that).

Do other regular maintenance as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer depending on mileage. Look in owner's manual.

Some auto parts stores will read your codes for free.

WRITE down the code(s) and post them back here.

If you don't do regular maintenance on a vehicle (as recommended by the manufacturer), it will have problems.

And I stick this into my budget. Every 6 months or so is "car month".

They also have simple books on vehicle maintenance for your specifc vehicle sold at auto parts stores. Many libraries have these as well. This would teach you the basics of regular maintenance.
Good Evening Bill,
Thank you for this information yes I do the maintenance to her.
Having said this I did get a little behined on her not on things like the oil change air filter fluid checks & so forth but on the check engine light.
Only cause I own a 70 Chevelle SS 396 that is my baby & also a 57 Chevy Bel-Air Gasser that I was re-building the engine for & putting a Blower on her. See here where I live you do what you can in the winter cause the summers are to short & you want your rides to be ready for cruises,shows & my 57 for Drag Racing.
Now I will be the first to admit that I do not know much about these computer cars if it were up to me I would rip all the computer stuff out I really don't care about pollution but that's the times today (Thank you Government!) but I think the CEL has something to do with emissions.
Your right I'll have to pull the codes out of her & list them I'm just a little worried about my factory right now but this van I love & is my daily driver I guess I was just hopping someone had this problem but you did give me an idea I'll change the fuel filter this is something I have over looked.
Thank you Bill for your time & help!
Will,

Old 03-14-10, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
EGR comes to mind (since the one in my wrecker recently died). Some of your symptoms are similar although not all. Ignition modules can do wacky stuff like that as well but won't always light the CEL. As Bill says, get a code read and go from there; it may not tell you anything useful, but it's always a good place to start when the light is on.
Yes I'll have to get the codes
Is there a way to check the EGR & the ignition module? I just don't want to put money in parts that I can't bring back I'm really lost on these computer cars I would love to yank it & put a crate engine in her.
Thank you & if you could tell me how to check the EGR it would be great!
Will,