Speedometer Problems

Old 03-14-10, 10:40 AM
Speedometer Problems

I have a 2003 Chev Silverado 1/2 P U. It has a5.3 ltr. Vortec eng w/auto trans. Frequently the speedometer will quit working. It may stop when I am driving or it may not work when I start. When it stops, I can sometimes turn key off for 2-3 minutes, and it will work; and sometimes it will not. The odometer keeps the correct mileage when it quits. Sometimes it will register slow mileage before it quits. Once when I turned key on, the needle was on 40 mph. I turned key off and on several times & it dropped to zero. A mechanic suggested it may be speed sensor. Does anyone have knowledge what it could be, and the remedy for fixing. I appreciate any help.
Roberk

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-10, 06:18 PM
Are you saying the odometer continues to count the miles while driving when the speedometer stops working?

Or are you saying the odometer just continues to display the miles, but stops counting?

If it continues to count the miles, then the problem likely would be with the instrument cluster. (The odometer would use the same signal from the speed sensor).

Another thing which would use the signal from the speed sensor is the cruise control if you have that. If the cruise control works, then this would indicate the speed sensor is working.

Also some factory radios will increase the volume as you go faster. This also works off the speed sensor signal.

Note that GM vehicles have had problems with the instrument cluster, so likely that is the problem. Might try the dealer and see if there is a recall and free replacement...

Old 03-15-10, 07:20 AM
Speedometer Problem

Thank you Bill for your reply. The odometer does still count. I have checked it when it starts working and it is accurate. I don't think the cruise is failing. I have had speedometer quit while in cruise, and it never affected it. I seldom play radio, so I don't know about it. If it is the cluster, what are we looking at in money and time? I have worked on older model vehicles dash problems and may could do this if fairly easy. I am 77 and a little slow not very agile, but I can try.
Thanks again for your help. Robertk

Old 03-15-10, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On a much older GM model I had a similar problem. As a "trouble shoot" I gave the instrument panel a few good smacks with the flat of my hand when the speedometer failed. It would then resume functioning. This indicated that the problem was in the cluster. It could either be a dirty or bad contact where the speedometer circuit board is plugged into the panel or a component failing on the board.

It can be a chore to get to and no guarantee that you will be able to see or locate the source. Good luck.

Old 03-15-10, 10:18 AM
Well first of all see if the dealer will replace it for free...

Then this is a common problem. Some people have replaced the speedometer part. So if you want to get that involved, search the internet. Should be lots of information out there.

Here are a couple of searches for you...

gm speedometer recall...
Google

gm speedometer repair forum...
Google