squeeky noises...

Old 04-09-10, 03:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
squeeky noises...

I hear squeeking whenever I go slow down the road and hit little bumps on the long dirt driveway. I suspect its the suspension springs...? Is it a good idea to just douse them with wd-40?

Old 04-12-10, 05:27 AM
L
WD40 may help you diagnose the problem but it is no cure, WD40 evaporates and eventually leaves not much behind.

If you take your car to an automatic car wash that does an under carriage wash, I have seen this with my vehicles in the past. The front sway bar bushings tend to creak, that is the bar that goes left to right and has 2 rubber bushings inside what looks like a strap up front. The right way to fix that is to remove the straps and put a waterproof grease or a lithium grease inside of the rubbers. On rare occarion I have also seen this with rear trailing arm bushings on rear wheel drive cars. That is the arm between the frame and the front of the rear axle.

If you have a Toyota Tacoma, it is a common problem with the rear springs. There was a Service Bulletin regarding replacing the springs and one regarding replacing the spring pads between the leaves.

Old 04-13-10, 01:59 PM
D
I just did my front sway bar bushings on my caravan... cost 10$ and some time... now its quiet as a mouse and handles better

Old 04-13-10, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
anti-sway bar

3rd for sway bar bushings. It's often constucted with an unbonded bushing that requires grease and as a pivot point has the greatest rotational travel with up and down wheel movement of any suspension component. In other words... it can get all squeeky first.

Look for long bolt like rods connected to your shocks. The u-shaped bar that is attached to those rods will be your sway bar. There will be strap backets that will attach this bar to your frame. That's where the bushings are. You can take the whole thing of by removing the nuts off of the end of the rods first. You'll find small little bushing at these ends as well. Prolly wouldn't hurt to grease these too.

Easy job an' if it doesn't do the trick... it was HotRod53F100's idea.

Old 04-13-10, 05:56 PM
D
also btw use a moly grease for the bushings as it wont ruin a polyurathane bushing and very heavy duty and repels water and wont wash away

Old 04-23-10, 06:17 PM
A
Thanks for the advice everybody!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: