Turn signal flasher question

Old 03-16-10, 04:55 AM
Turn signal flasher question

I recently replace the turn signals on my cycle with some led type mini signals. I knew they wouldn't flash with the stock flasher so I bought the one in the link. I think I got a defective one because it does nothing. It won't flash the led's or regular bulbs. I'm I correct in assuming the 20ma-25A is the working load range? I would think this should flash the smallest of bulbs. I hooked the X terminal to 12v and the L to the signal switch but also bench tested it with no luck.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 09:44 AM
Switch back to the regular flasher.

Then the LED bulbs need to be "electrically equivalant" to the old light bulb(s).

So measure the old light bulb with an ohm meter.

Then measure the LED with the ohm meter set on diode. This will only work one way. If no reading, reverse the leads.

Then wire a resistor in parallel so the LED light reads the same ohms as the old light bulb. Then it will work with the old flasher.

How to use a multimeter...
Google

Resistor...
Google

Multimeter diode...
Google

Resistor parallel circuit...
Google

Old 03-16-10, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pumpguy - stay on one forum. I answered your question in the electrical forum and now see that you also posted here.

Same answer. Get an electronic flasher which is not load dependent. Yes, it sounds like you may have a dud flasher. Happens sometimes.

Old 03-16-10, 10:17 AM
I've read both posts as well. On the other forum you said a "relay".

A relay is not a flasher. That could be the problem...

Old 03-16-10, 04:34 PM
Sorry about the double post..seemed to fit both forums. I don't want to use resistors as that would defeat the purpose of using led's. These signals are going on a 30+ yr old motorcycle with a less than great charging system(even when new). I'm trying to save a few watts by going to the led signals, tail light and instrument lights. I checked the amp draw on the signals and get .08A ea. or .16 per pair. So that should be 160ma and well within the range of the flasher. I tried the flasher on my old Firebird and it didn't work there either. Maybe just got a bad one. Your comments and ideas are always welcome.
Thanks
Pumpguy

Old 03-16-10, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Advance auto, NAPA, or about any auto parts store has electronic flashers. check your bike and get a two or three prong, as needed. These flashers are designed to handle LEDs.

Ride on.

Honda VTX1300 retro

Old 03-17-10, 04:19 AM
Been there, done that..didn't work. See link above.

Old 03-18-10, 02:33 PM
Update....I got a replacement flasher from Napa today and it works great. It will flash one or both signals no problem. I just got a bad one the first time.