light problems

Old 03-16-10, 09:26 AM
light problems

Here is a real interesting one. I have a 2002 chevy venture which I have had for about 3 years now. We have put about 25,000 miles on it. Since we have had it this issue has only surfaced about a dozen times over the three years and hasn't gotten any worse. It seems when driving at night 30-40 mph all of a sudden the headlights will blink off then on very quickly may be 4 or 5 times. The dash lights also do it. It happened last night on the thruway, 4 or 5 times in a row and then all was fine for the next 30 miles, never did it again. The car seems to drive fine when it does it. The last time it did this was about 6 months ago. I would think if it was a loose or corroded wire it would do it more often and get worse. It doesn't appear to happen at any certain time like going over bumps, when its damp and raining etc.. It is just a ghost that appears occasionally. I am very reluctant to take it to a shop because it is not going to appear for them. Any thoughts on where`to start looking for this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 11:15 AM
Newer vehicles tend to be more complicated with how things work. Possibly not just a switch and a relay for this. Could be computer modules in the works...

What I would do is get a factory electrical diagrams manual. Read the description of operation for this circuit in that book. Learn how it works. Learn what circuits and components are involved.

Then you will have circuits/wiring/components from the switch to the lights themselves.

Connect a multimeter in the middle somewhere. Best would be a "recording multimeter". Then see if you loose power at that spot in the circuit when this happens. (Catch it in the act!)

If yes, move it backwards in the circuit until you find what is causing the problem.

Or move if forwards in the circuit if not losing power at that point.

Don't leave the multimeter in the car. Extreme temperatures can damage a multimeter.

Old 03-16-10, 11:55 AM
Your problem could be caused by several things. Headlights on most automobiles have a "resetting" circuit breaker, instead of a fuse. A temprorary short in a wire could cause this problem. Years ago, I had a similar problem that took me a very long time to find. It turned out to be moisture in the headlight!
Automotive electrical problems can sometimes be very expensive to correct. A person may do a lot of checking and parts replacement and the labor cost can be far greater then the cost of parts.
I have had electrical problems that took me many hours to find and the repair was made with a simple wire splice or a piece of electrical tape.
If any work of any type has been done, check that area first.