Sick 3.8 engine in our '98 Bonneville...again! Wont start..sometimes

Old 03-16-10, 03:14 PM
Sick 3.8 engine in our '98 Bonneville...again! Wont start..sometimes

We just had the tank pulled and a fuel pump and fuel regulator put in this car, ever since we have been getting an intermittant check engine light code P042, minor leak in evatorative recovery. I can reset it and it will go a few days before coming back on. The crank sensor has about 25K on it too.

I drove it 160 miles yesterday with no issues. Today my wife drove it 10 miles from home and it later wouldnt restart. It tried to start but sounded loaded up like it has been doing lately, then just turned over with no start. After sitting for a few minutes it did restart and she came straight home. Each time that she stopped at a stop sign the dash dinged but no "check gauges" warning. When she pulled in the driveway, it dinged continuously.

I got home and pulled the codes and nothing but P042 again and it fired right up. I'm going to go under the car and look at the module that is back by the tank, I'm looking for cracked plastic or lines OFF. The oil presure gauge has always ridden just above the red zone at idle since this engine was put in, today she said that it was in the red zone at idle, would that ding the dash alarm? BTW, new oil 250 miles ago.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
I don't remember ever hearing about an audible alarm for low oil pressure, but it's possible. For the low reading it's possible it could have a bad sender and that's a cheap part.

Have you tried replacing the gas cap for the evap code?

The intermittent starting problem could be fuel related so it would be a good idea to get a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the replacement pump is going belly up.

Old 03-16-10, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Late thought, in some cars there's an interlink between the oil pressure sender and the fuel pump, so maybe that's what's going on. Will have to wait for one of the pro mech's to shed some more light on that angle.

Old 03-16-10, 06:32 PM
Update: I crawled all under the car only to find out an hour later that the purge solenoid is inder the hood and not under the car!

I looked on a parts website and saw a picture and went to the car and found it. This type has two hoses on the same side of the purge valve as compared to my buddies '99 Impala that has the other type with a hose on either side. At first look I think the mechanic may have put the hoses on backwards, it looks physically wrong the way that he has the two hoses on. Anyone know which hose goes where... does the hose from the throttle plate go to the inlet facing the drivers compartment and the hard line that comes from under the battery go to the inlet towards the front of the car? He had them flip flopped and you almost had to force the hard line from under the battery to get it on the line towards the drivers compartment. The car started right up and no sputtering!

I cleared the code and started the car. I noticed that the check washer fluid and check gauges light gor brighter and dimmer when I revved the engine. Not like they were on, more like they were in the background.

I put the battery on charge since my wife was grinding on it when it wouldn't start.

Still havent found the canister or canister filter!

Old 03-16-10, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by HotRod53F100 View Post
...Still havent found the canister or canister filter!
They sure do like to hide this stuff!

Anyway if no one knows about the tubes, you might find a similar vehicle in a wrecking yard, then look and see how the hoses are connected on that.

Old 03-17-10, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Might check the repair info on autozone.com for the car; might get a clue there.

The cannister might be hidden up under a front fender.

Old 03-18-10, 02:18 PM
Another update: bad news... my car keeps running but I have 5-10 psi of oil pressure at idle when it warms up. I replaced the pressure gauge sender and it didn't help. The car is running fine but that darn dinger goes off every time it hits 10 psi. Every stop sign, every time I pull in the driveway.. ding.ding.ding.ding.ding.....

I'm not overheating and it's running fine, at least it seems to be. I'm not convinced that I truly have a low oil pressure scenario.

Old 03-18-10, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
One thing I think has been missed by the other posters....

In your initial post..you said "..since this engine was put in.."

Is it a rebuild or a junkyard engine? And just wondering why a '98 needed a new engine? May have been in a previous post, but we all have short memories....lol

Only way to know if you have low pressure is to stick a gauge on it.

You could also try upping the grade a few on the oil.....

Old 03-18-10, 02:57 PM
I blew a head gasket at 98K and tore up the starter ring before we knew that it hydrolocked. The next two engines blew the first day because of a defective oil bypass valve, this one now has about 95K on it and had run well for the last probably 30K but always had marginal oil pressure.

Update: removed the gauge cluster, cleaned all connections and resoldered the terminals.. no change! I'm going to drain a quart of oil and throw some Lucas oil treatment at it for fun.

Last edited by HotRod53F100; 03-18-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 04:16 PM
Assuming the year is correct....Your missing a # in the DTC.

You would be looking for a 4 digit code starting in 0.

P0402 would be excessive EGR flow detected.
P0420 would be a Catalyst efficiency failure

Typically Evaporative emmission codes are P0440-P0456.

Now ...If by chance, someone gave you an OBD1 Generic Hex code.....42 would be a Crank sensor signal failure, or Timing control error.

Just for giggles, keep a quart bottle of water in the car....Next time it stalls, pop the hood, and pour the whole quart over the Crank balancer. This will cool the crank sensor. If the car immediately starts after the sensor has been cooled off....REPLACE The Sensor.

Old 03-25-10, 03:52 PM
UPDATE: reinstalled the oil filter assemble and bypass valve, no difference. Removed the oil pan and checked the pickup tube and gasket. I then removed the pickup tube and cleaned it in the parts washer and installed a new gasket, no difference.

I still have the problem of the oil pressure and volt meter dropping slightly with the increase of RPM and the check washer fluid and check gauges illuminating slightly the higher the RPMs get.

The crank and bearings all looked clean and there was no crap in the pan.

All that I have to do is put a mechanical gauge on it, I have to aquire a few parts and pieces first.

Old 03-30-10, 05:06 PM
UPDATE: Installed a manual pressure gauge... I have 50 PSI at cold idle and it drops to 40 at hot idle. No matter how hard I pounded on the motor, I got no less that 20 psi in gear, at idle, and after an hours run.

A new twist, if I really put my foot in it the check washer light and check gauge lights still come on as previously mentioned, but as the RPMs get up there pretty high, it starts to miss. I'm convinced this is electrical of else I would just put an under dash oil pressure gauge on it and forget about it.

Search this Thread