Transmission Fluid 98 Chevrolet S10

Old 03-19-10, 07:56 PM
Transmission Fluid 98 Chevrolet S10

I changed the transmission filter on my 98 Chevrolet S10 4cylinder pickup .I added 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 fluid that I had in the garage.Today I got to wondering if this was the correct fluid.I haven't driven it yet,I have let it idle about 25 minutes.I am wondering if this fluid will damage transmission.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-10, 10:41 PM
She's supposed to have Dex 3 in her and you now have a blend of Dex3 and synth fluids this can cause shift problems and other issues. Since you've run it in already you have a mix of 4 qts to the total capacity of 11 qts or about 35/65 mix.Damage is a slight possibility if left in long term.However draining the trans and converter is difficult for a home job you need a flush machine to accomplish a complete fluid change GM did change to Dex 6 as a substitute for Dex 3. Wish I had better news for you but suppose you can try and see or the only way I can think of for a DIY to accomplish a full drain is pull one trans cooler line run it to a 5 gal bucket (pref with the top on and attached to the bucket its under about 50 to 60 psi) and run it till nothing comes out and shut it down.Reattach the line,put about 6 qts in fire it up for a couple min shut down then with the other 5 qts add in 3 to 3 1/2 and restart top off as ness. The pressure out of the trans line will be the top line going to the radiator.

Old 03-20-10, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by kenco80233 View Post
I changed the transmission filter on my 98 Chevrolet S10 4cylinder pickup .I added 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 fluid that I had in the garage.Today I got to wondering if this was the correct fluid.I haven't driven it yet,I have let it idle about 25 minutes.I am wondering if this fluid will damage transmission.
Dexron VI is the latest GM ATF for all GM automatic transmissions. It replaces Dexron III and is far superior to any previous ATF. Check your Owners Manual for fluid recommendations and then check with a GM Dealer to see if there are any updated fluids you should use. Why would you use ATF+4?

Old 03-20-10, 10:46 AM
It should say in the back of your owner's manual what specification fluids to use for this and that...

Old 03-20-10, 01:42 PM
I used the ATF+4,as I had it leftover from changing the trans filter in my 2005 Dodge Caravan.I had a quart of ATF+3 that said on the back of bottle that it was compatable to Dexron 3,so I assumed since ATF=4 replaced ATF=3 it would work.I just purchased this vehicle from a neighbor.This is the first Chevrolet that I have owned.My wife calls me the Dummy of the month.