safe to follow this maintenance schedule?

Old 03-20-10, 09:06 AM
safe to follow this maintenance schedule?

2005 Toyota Highlander V6
no towing

5K balance tires. Nope, only needed if I notice a vibration at highway speeds.

10K check alignment. Nope, only needed if tires are wearing uneven, or vehicle is pulling to one side, also may be needed if vibration at highway speeds

30k transmission fluid. Do what your owner's manual says. Most likely it will say something like "replace at 60K if towing, or if it changes color to brown from bright pink.

45K Rear Differential Oil, Transfer Case Oil, Power Steering Fluid. That is so laughable that they recommend changing these. As someone as already stated, those are in sealed units and no need to replace.

90k Tune Up Do this only if the vehicle is running rough. The days of doing a regular tune up have long past.

90k Timing Belt. Check your owner's manual. I have an 04 HL 4 cyl that does not have the belt, it has the chain, but your owner's manual will tell you if/when to do this

90k Thermostat. If the temp. of my vehicle is fine, why would I ever change this?

90k Water Pump Nope again, unless I had to change the timing belt as usually they have to remove the water pump anyway. You would also want to change the accessory belts during the timing belt change. Most dealers will have a "timing belt change special" where they will do the belt, water pump, and accessory belts all at once.

I also check all the fluids and tire pressure on my vehicles at least monthly.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-10, 10:43 AM
I'm no oil expert, but I think oil breaks down or stops working with age? And as parts wear, metal filings get into the oil?

Anyway if they say to replace it at certain mileage intervals, I would do so. I figure those engineers know a lot more about this than I do...

As to replacing parts for things which are still working, sometimes this is "preventative maintenance". These are expected to fail or wear out at a certain point, so the idea is to replace it before it fails. Then you have a more reliable vehicle. You have avoided a potential break down situation.

And as to doing that, if you only drive around in a city, and always have access to a phone and towing, and your vehicle breaking down would not be a problem, then preventative maintenance would be optional.

However I sometimes drive in some very cold remote mountain areas where cell phones and CB radios do not work and there is no one for miles around. I could freeze to death. So preventative maintenance is important to me. I want a reliable vehicle. (I also carry a coat, blanket, and survival gear.)

Old 03-21-10, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't skip the 45K fluid changes. As Bill says, although they are sealed systems, they pick up wear metals over time that should be removed since there is no filtration going on.

Dinosaur, where in Pewaukee are you??? Small world.

Old 03-21-10, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I wouldn't skip the 45K fluid changes. As Bill says, although they are sealed systems, they pick up wear metals over time that should be removed since there is no filtration going on.

Dinosaur, where in Pewaukee are you??? Small world.
I am in the city.
I know people who drive to work like I do with minimal oeut of state driving who have driven their car or suv well over 100k with everything that I have mentioned here.....The dealer and manufacturer recommended maintenance isn't really for everyone. I don't tow or live in a dusty so following what they want would be money out the door. Repairing things as needed might not be the best idea, but it's the same thing if you look at it......spend money at the dealer or at a local shop for regular maintenance or fix it when needed when your car/suv tells you it needs help....the way they build cars these days they should be able to go 200k easily....

Old 03-21-10, 09:57 AM
maintenence

If you get two manuals, one from the factory, and one from the dealer, throw away the one from the dealer. Most of the items in the dealer manual are just money makers for the dealer. the factory knows best.
Sid

Old 03-21-10, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I am in the city.
I know people who drive to work like I do with minimal oeut of state driving who have driven their car or suv well over 100k with everything that I have mentioned here.....The dealer and manufacturer recommended maintenance isn't really for everyone. I don't tow or live in a dusty so following what they want would be money out the door. Repairing things as needed might not be the best idea, but it's the same thing if you look at it......spend money at the dealer or at a local shop for regular maintenance or fix it when needed when your car/suv tells you it needs help....the way they build cars these days they should be able to go 200k easily....
You are obviously much smarter than the highly trained engineers that make those recommendations!!! I for one would not miss changing fluids as recommended by those over paid quick lube engineers that work for the manufacturers.

Search this Thread