Is the oil synthetic or regular?

Old 03-20-10, 11:54 AM
Is the oil synthetic or regular?

I just had a friend call me and asked if I knew a simple way to determine if the oil in a truck he bought was synthetic or regular oil.
He said he could not find out from the widow of the previous owner.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-10, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
I can't imagine how...unless possibly you had a complete oil analysis done. And I don't mean just checking for metal and contamination...I mean with a mass spectrometer type analysis. Not even sure that would really do it.

I thought with the newer oils it didn't really matter? Course we don't know the age of the truck.

Maybe he could just switch to synthetic and stick with it?

Old 03-20-10, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I can't imagine how...unless possibly you had a complete oil analysis done. And I don't mean just checking for metal and contamination...I mean with a mass spectrometer type analysis. Not even sure that would really do it.

I thought with the newer oils it didn't really matter? Course we don't know the age of the truck.

Maybe he could just switch to synthetic and stick with it?
That is basically what I told him--I also told him that after an oil change with synthetic, I have noticed that after draining the oil catch pan, overnight, there would be a slick film different then with petrolium oils.
Not a very reliable test or conclusion but worth mentioning.

Old 03-25-10, 01:39 PM
That's the first I've heard of this phenomenon.

Anyhow, whenever someone buys a used vehicle, it's good form to change all fluids and filters. This way you don't have to guess how long a consumable has been on the car, and it provides a starting point for further maintenance.

I don't see how anyone can own a vehicle without keeping records on maintenance and repair.

Old 03-25-10, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I was young [and my brain still in functioning order] I kept all my maintainence records in my head, but since I'm no longer young if I don't write it down, I haven't a clue