Noisy Fan/Accessory Belt

Old 03-20-10, 07:07 PM
Noisy Fan/Accessory Belt

My fan/accessory belt is bugging the **** out of me! All of a sudden one day, the belt started making a noise (sounds like a bunch of crickets under my hood). I stopped by my father-in-laws and he dabbed a little brake lube on a pully or two and the sound went away for a while (maybe a few days). Not sure why he used brake lube, but it did work for a while. Anyway, we thought it was because of the cold weather the belt was making the noise. It's been about 4 weeks now, the temperature is much warmer and the noise is still there. I have tried belt dressing (that was a mess and seemed to make the sound worse). I have a self-adjusting tensioner, so that's out. What else can I do? This is driving me crazy. I don't think I should have to dab brake lube every few days to keep my belt from making noise. I also checked the belt for wear...it appears to be fine (according to a truck manual I bought).

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-10, 08:11 PM
It might not be the belt, but might be the bearings in a pulley or something.

To find the exact source of the noise, take a long paper tube like from a roll of gift wrap...

Then place one end to your ear. And move the other end around where the noise is coming from. The noise will be loudest at its source.

(Be careful to avoid moving parts like the fan.)

And hopefully it is something you can easily replace if it is in fact a bearing. (Like an alternator, water pump, etc.)

Old 03-20-10, 08:21 PM
What are you driving?? It would help a lot to know... I've fixed lots of belt noises by alining the power steering & alternator pulley up with the rest of the pulleys as they are only pressed on,,, but a bit of info (like @ least the make or model or engine or accessories or V or serpintine belt or year of car or is it a truck???)) would help a lot??? ... & don't put belt dressing on it because it's made for leather belts on Thrashing Machines & now you'll have to scrub all the pullys clean with a wire brush & brakeClean to get a satisfactory fix.....Sorry... Roger

Old 03-20-10, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
What are you driving?? It would help a lot to know... I've fixed lots of belt noises by alining the power steering & alternator pulley up with the rest of the pulleys as they are only pressed on,,, but a bit of info (like @ least the make or model or engine or accessories or V or serpintine belt or year of car or is it a truck???)) would help a lot??? ... & don't put belt dressing on it because it's made for leather belts on Thrashing Machines & now you'll have to scrub all the pullys clean with a wire brush & brakeClean to get a satisfactory fix.....Sorry... Roger
It's a 1991 GMC Silverado.

Old 03-20-10, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bill190 View Post
It might not be the belt, but might be the bearings in a pulley or something.

To find the exact source of the noise, take a long paper tube like from a roll of gift wrap...

Then place one end to your ear. And move the other end around where the noise is coming from. The noise will be loudest at its source.

(Be careful to avoid moving parts like the fan.)

And hopefully it is something you can easily replace if it is in fact a bearing. (Like an alternator, water pump, etc.)
I was thinking it was the belt because the noise stops when the brake lube is/was applied directly to the pully(s). I could be wrong...I can try your suggestion tomorrow.

Old 03-21-10, 07:50 AM
How many miles on the belt? Does it drive alternator? Could be alternator going bad putting drag on belt causing it to slip a bit and squeal. Might need a new belt. Other causes have been described.

Old 03-21-10, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
How many miles on the belt? Does it drive alternator? Could be alternator going bad putting drag on belt causing it to slip a bit and squeal. Might need a new belt. Other causes have been described.
I just pulled the belt off. If I need a new belt would it be obvious? I don't see cracks or anything. I know a belt's not much, but I don't want to buy one if this one is okay.

The belt drive the alternator, AC and a couple of other things (a few pulleys there, one is near the power steering fluid chamber). Per one of the other posters, I probably need to clean everything now. Some of the belt dressing is in some of the grooves, etc. I'll never use that stuff again (belt dressing).

Old 03-21-10, 10:14 AM
Well, the sqeak is gone. My son and I reinstalled the belt, fired the truck up and there's no noise. Maybe we reinstalled the belt front side back (just turned it around). Whatever...it's not sqeaking now.

I appreciate all the replies.

Search this Thread