change engine oil light

Old 03-22-10, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
change engine oil light

Does anyone have any experience with flashing change engine oil message on mopars? I have a new jeep that had the message start to flash at a little over 2500 miles While the dealer claims you should change the oil every 3k, the owners manual states 6k or 6 months. The dealer says it's just a reminder that you need to change the oil in the next 500 miles.

I don't have a lot of confidence in either the dealer or the owners manual. No one at the dealer ship seemed to know that the jeep has traction control and that is why it goes up and down my hill so well in packed snow/ice without using chains - they said it's the way it's geared One place in the owners manual states that the automatic trans fluid never needs to be changed but a page or 2 later it states that you must change it every 30k for severe use [towing, plowing, taxi] and at 120k if it hasn't already been changed

I think I like the old vehicles that didn't have all this technical junk, better

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-10, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm maybe it's the initial oil change? Most of those are not just mileage counters..though yours may be. Or maybe it just reads your mind and knows you WANT to change it at 3000 miles....lol.

As to the tranny....wonder if its a typo..and it really meant to say "checked". Do you even have a dipstick on yours?

And did you realllly like them better? Pumping the gas to set the choke and prime the carb, fiddling with adjustments, setting timing and dwell, cleaning points, replacing plugs at 10K. I gotta say I kinda like not worrying about much more than filters and fluids.... and even then...its not near as often.

Granted...they sure were easier to troubleshoot and repair. Lot cheaper too.

Old 03-22-10, 11:15 AM
If your oil light system is like the "GM oil life monitor", then the light comes on based on how your vehicle is used. Things like...

-Count of engine revolutions
-Deterioration factors for operating temperature
-Start up temperature
-Soak times
-Ambient temperature
-Coolant temperature
-And other things

So someone else driving differently in a different area would have the light come on at a different mileage!

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about all this...
ZDP depletion and GM oil life monitor - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 03-22-10, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic, I like working on the old vehicles better - simple technology for a simple brain

Bill, that was some good reading [didn't read it all ] Wish I knew if that was the same way it works on my jeep. I checked the build date to see if maybe it fell under the 6 month deal but it was built a little over 4 months ago. Anyway I guess that's answered my earlier question on whether to stretch out the oil changes with a switch to synthetic, guess I'll continue with 3k conventional oil changes. I sure hope that annoying flashing oil change message doesn't pop up every 2500 miles

Old 03-22-10, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
mark...I swear I won't rag on you after this...but why not trust the light...and see if next time it flashes at 4500 or 5000 or even 6000? I read through a lot of that link....and it was very eye opening. Not that any of my vehicles are fancy enough to have such a thing, but if they did...and I knew it wasn't just a mileage counter...I'd trust it.

If yours comes up flashing again at 2500...then maybe it is just a mileage thing.

btw...any idea how it resets? How does it KNOW you've changed the oil? Might want to check at an oil change place...I'm sure they have books...

Old 03-22-10, 03:33 PM
Ahhhhh......Another happy motorist who selectively picks the owners manual pages that he wants to read....

Ok ...take it from the top SAM......

Your OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is NOT an "OIL LIFE MONITOR", but a simple reminder, solely based on Accumulated Mileage. They arent the most accurate, since they use mileage data from a separate module, as opposed to what is displayed in the odometer window, and there could quite possibly be a variation of as much as 150- 200 miles...

Yes, Chrysler says 6k, They tell their Service personnel 3k, and the Oil Minder is set at a factory default of 2500. Go figure.. I actually set it to 3000 during "New car Prep"....(Menu, Personal settings, "Service Due" and "Step" button to change the Value....Hence The Selective owners manual Crack..) Reset is performed the same as GM...".Tap Three times on the gas if you love me"----OOps, wasnt that an Old Tony Orlando tune?????----Key on,without starting, Wait for message , depress the gas pedal fully and release fully 3 times within 5 seconds....(If your overly enthusiastic...fear not 4 times wont hurt)
I have to agree with your dealer as far as traction control goes....Yes it does help on snow and ice immensely, but the gear ratio is the key to keeping it moving.

In normal service, the ATF does not require changing. Severe service is recommended at 30 k intervals, Or 120k provided it hasnt been serviced prior, ON ALL SEVERITY SCHEDULES....(Theres that "GO FIGURE AGAIN"). What It doesnt mention is on all schedules, Trans fluid service is REQUIRED to maintain "Lifetime powertrain Warranty"...Fluid and Filter replacement only...Never , Ever , FLUSH a Mopar Transmission. As gunguy mentioned, You may not have a dipstick for trans fluid, depending on the unit used in your particular vehicle, and there are special tools and procedures to check fluid level. Most Flush equipment replaces fluid on a 1 to 1 basis, so any discrepancy in fluid level will stay as a discrepancy in fluid level, with no way for a General Tech, or Motorist to correct it. Im not by a long shot trying to PUSH dealer Service, but Trans work on these units is best left to the guys who have to warranty it when it Blows UP.

Old 03-23-10, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the informative post Unclediezel!

I've read and understood about how to set the indicator after changing the oil. Could you further explain how to reset the counter to 3k? I've not found this in the owner's manual cd.... or could it just be disabled? Also how often does the trans fluid/filter need to be changed to keep the warranty valid?

btw - the trans does have a dip stick

Old 03-23-10, 09:26 AM
Change engine oil light. Is this an oil light that suggests changing the engine?

Old 03-23-10, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now that's a concept - change the engine, leave the oil

UPS finally brought the real [printed] owner's manual. It seems to be a little more informative than the cd. It states The engine oil change indicator system is duty-cycle based. which means the engine oil interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal drving style.... and as stated in the cd, oil changes at 6k intervals, 6 months or when the change oil message flashes. I can't believe my driving is so severe as to warrant changing the oil at 2500 miles. I'd rather not have this feature than have it lie to me

My reasoning behind believing that traction control is what makes this jeep better on my driveway in the snow and not the gear ratio is; like my old cherokee both vehicles in 4 wheel low will maintain 800 rpm around 4-5 mph all the way down the driveway. When the snow gets packed, my old jeep needed chains both for control going down and traction going up. The new jeep with traction control has only slid a couple times going down and spun a half dozen times going up. The old jeep would have required chains before the driveway conditions ever got to that point Oh and I ran snow tires on the old jeep while the new one basically has street tires.

Old 03-24-10, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The more I read in the owner's manual, the less confidence I have in it

Power steering fluid check
Checking the fluid level a a defined interval is not required. The fluid should only be checked if a leak is suspected, abnormal noises are apparent and/or the system is not functioning as anticipated.

So could you take those directions one step further and say there is no need to check the engine oil level unless you hear a rod knocking

Old 03-25-10, 01:22 AM
you could just take this guys advice for changing your oil LOL

YouTube - The Red Green Show - Changing your Oil

Old 04-05-10, 12:16 AM
The owners manual should be trusted as this is stuff that comes from the factory and the stealership wants to make money.
Every car that is driven should be maintained as sever service, going up hills in snow=severe service. Ideling sever service... If you like your jeep and plan to keep it maintaining it to the severe service schedule is the way to go.

Old 04-05-10, 05:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The owners manual states change the oil at 6k or when the oil change message flashes - it started flashing at 2500 miles

Oddly there is no mention of severe service in the owners manual other than changing transmission oil and/or gear oil.

I do like the jeep although I'm still choking over the price..... but my wife intends to make all the payments Without a doubt it's the best 4x4 I've ever driven on my mountain road in any snow conditions!

Old 04-05-10, 04:30 PM
Im sorry Mark, Ive been away for a bit.......

Exactly which Flavor of Jeep are we discussing..(Year make and Model.)

There is an Oil life monitor available as an option on 09 and10, but I am yet to see one come through.....

Service Severity is referred to in your maintenance section as schedule A or Schedule B.....Possibly a seperate Booklet. If you wish, PM me your E-mail address, Ill pull a copy of your owners manual and go thru it with you.....

EASYWIND......As a Guy that works for the "STEALERSHIP"......Severe service is specifically Classified in the owners manual, and performing severe service maintenance on a vehicle that doesnt meet criteria, is a completely unnecessary expense. Which is what you recommended, But The Stealerships are the thieves?????If feel highly insulted by that Comment/word, and In the past , Members here have been banned for using it...I take this board with all the seriousness I give to my Profession, and dont appreciate being slandered because of my choice of employment.

Old 04-05-10, 04:37 PM
Delete --Repost..........(Is it 25 yet??????)