Strut bearing plate

Old 03-29-10, 07:39 AM
Strut bearing plate

I have to take my PT cruiser in to the shop in a few weeks to get looked at. Sounds like it may be the strut bearing plate or something. It is making clunking noises and everything else has been checked. Anyways, how are these usually checked by the shop and if it is in fact that, how expensive of a job is this. Does the whole strut have to be replaced? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-10, 09:42 AM
Just curious about what all has been checked when you say 'everything else.' Others on this forum with the PT have had knocking noises over bumps that were caused by worn out sway bar mounts as well as worn tie rod ends. Also worn sway bar links can also cause knocking noises. Why are you thinking that it is probably the strut mounting plate? Do you feel any lossenss on the top mount where the struts attach to the towers? Can you duplicate the noise by bouncing the front end when parked? What kind of mileage is on your PT? Struts themselves also of course wear out and leak over time and mileage, and can knock. The front struts on my daughter-in-laws Honda CRV actually rusted out after several winters in the northeast.

Old 03-29-10, 10:04 AM
I have posted quite a while before on here and that was a reccomendation. Bssically the PT has 26,000 miles on it ( 2002)
and in the last 10,000 miles it has had both control arms and bushings for a knock. This was solved for a while then their was different kind of knock which they said was the tie rods, so both were changed. Noise went away for quite a while and then clunking appeared again. this time they found play in the sway bar bushings so they replaced these. The noise went away for about 2 months and now there is clunking again. Most of the time it isn't noticable until you go over large bumps. It's odd that replacing the sway bar bushings would make the noise disappear for a few months and then the same noise reappear.

Old 03-29-10, 06:14 PM
Just a question jcraft. When they replaced the sway bar mounting bushings did they also check the links at the ends of the sway bars for looseness. When the ball joints in those wear out they can cause knocking over bumps also. Just thinking about the cheaper things first. Do you know if there are any TSB's out on that vehicle around suspension noise also?