3.8L in 95 chevy lumina APV

Old 03-30-10, 07:46 PM
3.8L in 95 chevy lumina APV

Eveining,
I have a 95 Lumina APV with the Buick 3.8L (231ci) engine first it has the OBD1 in her but no B pin so I can not jump the A & B pins to get the code out. Although it has the 8 pin ALDL so a code reader would cost me $200.
The CEL comes on stays on after about 15 min. of running it happens only when I'm driving her I can not get it to come on in the garage.
She has great pick up a smooth idle & a little very little hesitation from a red light.
Here is the problem 0-39 it runs great hit 40 mph she hesitates or more like a jerky sensation no matter if she is cold or at normal running temp.
Has anyone had this problem before at 40 mph with the 3.8L? & if so what did you find was causing it?. Ok having said this I have told a lot of people about the ALDL not having a B pin but having the OBD1 in her & they are all lost some have even looked for themselves. The only thing I read was some in 95 had the OBD1 with the 8 pin ALDL but for some reason GM put a diffrent ECM in them!.
Thank you!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-10, 08:24 PM
You sure its a true 95? That should have a 12 or 16 pin connector (split year) count all connections even if they don't have a contact point in them please will be around for a little while will check back.If a 16 pin yep you need a scan tool sorry to bear bad news on that one though.They changed the software and it eliminated the self diag.

Old 04-01-10, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
You sure its a true 95? That should have a 12 or 16 pin connector (split year) count all connections even if they don't have a contact point in them please will be around for a little while will check back.If a 16 pin yep you need a scan tool sorry to bear bad news on that one though.They changed the software and it eliminated the self diag.
Good Evening,
I'm sorry it has a 12 pin connector with only three contact points. There is the A pin top row far right. Bottom row there is a pin far right, right under the A pin & another pin bottom row I think three over from left. As far as it being a 95 yes that I am sure of.
This seems to be puzzling a lot of people even ones who sell the code readers. First to as why it says on the emission label under the hood OBD1 but more so if there tool will work on her. I was already to put out the money for a code reader that would read both 1&2 & was talking to someone on line at the place I was going to buy it from but when I told him this as he had one all picked out he just was not sure if it would work.
So it is a 12 pin connector with three pins in it but no B.
Thank you!
Will,

Old 04-01-10, 09:54 PM
That is a strange one there should be a connector in the top row right next to the last one to the left on that can find no data or mention anywhere that says otherwise as you know the top left one gets grounded to the one right next to it to the left in the same row. It's a puzzle for sure going to dig into this a little more (can't resist the challange LOL)

Old 04-01-10, 10:07 PM
Update Found it on Alldata while GM calls it a split year there was a intermedate point that they eliminated the self diag. before changing the ECU and going to the 16 pin. (small IF equipped in the notes) LOL the 3 pins are a ground and two data ports so if the scan tool your planning to get will support that you should be good to go.