ABS? on 95 Crown Vic

Old 04-04-10, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ABS? on 95 Crown Vic

Howdy!! On my '95 Crown Vic, I occasionally feel a brief vibration in the brake pedal. It stops fine without any noise. This has only happened about 5 times in the 2000 miles I have driven the car. I thought it might be a rotor out of round, but figured I would be feeling it a lot more often if that was the case. Is this ABS even though there is no ABS light in the gauge area? Thank you much for any input folks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-10, 07:42 PM
This is probably the ABS activating and would be normal.

This would happen if a wheel was about to lock up. And this would happen on a slick road or a road with gravel/dirt as you were coming to a stop.

On vehicles before there was ABS, you would sometimes stop on a dirt road and skid a little (come to a sliding stop) for the last few feet. With ABS, it keeps the wheels rotating by "pulsing" the brakes. And this is what you feel on the pedal.

Old 04-05-10, 11:11 AM
I was wondering because there is no ABS warning light on the car. Thank you much, now I will see if I can get a discount on my car insurance because I didn't think I had it

Old 04-05-10, 11:33 AM
The ABS warning light or the "BRAKE" warning light would come on if there was a malfunction in the system. (If it was not working.)

If you have ABS, there would be a lot of tubes going to a gizmo under the hood which looks like this...
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...ock-brake2.jpg

Some of these are hidden under the vehicle.

As to insurance, I would think they would factor that in when you give them the year/model and VIN of your vehicle.

And then they would go by accident statistics for that particular vehicle. They have this down to an exact science! So if there was a vehicle which had ABS and also had fewer accidents, then you would get a lower rate.

But if there was a vehicle which had ABS and have MORE accidents, you would have a HIGHER rate for that particular vehicle.

For example I see a lot of SUV drivers tailgating and getting into rear end collisions - even though they have ABS. The ABS does not protect from foolishness! If I was an insurance company, I would charge a higher rate for those vehicles.

Old 04-05-10, 12:36 PM
They told me there was a discount, but couldn't tell if it had that option according to the VIN.

Old 04-05-10, 03:12 PM
Well I stand corrected then!

Perhaps you could go to the dealer, give them your VIN (would be on registration), then ask at the parts counter to look up the options on your vehicle and see if you have ABS or not.

Also I know some older vehicles have just rear wheel ABS and others all wheel ABS. Find out which.

Then back to the insurance company!

Old 04-05-10, 05:06 PM
I have the company with the lizard spokesman, other compaqnies might be different, no porblemo Bill.

Old 04-05-10, 05:41 PM
If you feel ambitious, take a look at the inside of the wheel. If there are electrical wires going to the Rotor area....yes you have ABS.

If this is an intermittent problem, I would suspect that the system is functioning normally, and you didnt notice the Minor road imperfections that triggered your System.

If this is a continual thing, There are several things that can cause this. Just because there is no warning lamp lit, does NOT MEAN the system is working.

Basic ABS 101...... A computer monitors the speed of the wheels by a set of "Tone Teeth" passing by a magnet. on a 4 wheel abs car, there may be a sensor for each front wheel , and the rear is either individual wheel sensors, or one sensor on the diff that reads both rear wheels.

When the brakes are applied, the computer monitors all wheel sensors, and determines any variation in speed between them, if one is drastically lower than the rest, the abs system "Pumps" the brake pedal for you to prevent the car from sliding. ( A word...as mentioned, it is not a substitute for stupidity, and will not keep you safe if you are doing donuts on a sheet of ICE).

Now, there are certain situations where unintended activation can occur. If a wheel speed sensor was erratic due to physical damage, a Broken Tooth on the tone ring, or any number of electrical or mechanical issues that disrupt accurate speed measurement. In almost all of these cases, the warning lamp will NOT light up, simply because the computer is being fed incorrect information, and doesnt "Think" he is doing anything wrong. He is processing the info that he reads. if the info is wrong , so is the result. The information would need to be corrected before the result could be addressed.

In my state, the lizard only offers ABS discounts on his Comprehensive (Collision/Fire/theft) packages. If your a basic Liability Man..(Not to poke fun...but its a 15 year old car, why full coverage?????) The discounts probably wouldnt apply to your vehicle.

Old 04-05-10, 05:53 PM
On the insurance, it is liability and the funny part is that a 6 month policy cost a little bit more than the car itself did due to the previous owner not wanting 5 cars in his yard. My previous car was the same year and got an ABS discount. I do not trust it myself due to the fact one truck I had 12 years ago had rear ABS and somehow the brakes locked and the truck skidded 100 yards into the back of a Saturn at a red light. Therefore I trust ABS about as much as I can throw my car which weighs 5200 pounds.

Thank you for the ABS tutorial!!

Old 04-14-10, 06:45 PM
I was applying anti-seize lubricant to the lug studs the other day and did a quick brake inspecton. No wires, oh well, no discount.

Old 04-14-10, 09:14 PM
The wires would not look like wires as they would be in a protected cable. Best to ask at your dealer to be sure.