2007 Cobalt driver front brake hot and seized

Old 04-06-10, 06:51 PM
2007 Cobalt driver front brake hot and seized

Help, please! A friend's car started slowing down while she was driving on the freeway. A mutual friend was able to discern that the driver's side front brake was very hot, much hotter than the passenger side front or either of the rears. My experience with disc brakes says that this caliper may have seized. Unfortunately, I have not seen the car since the problem started, and the only person available to work on it follows instruction well but has little diagnostic skill (less than me, which ain't a great deal!) Can't get a straight answer from him as to whether this car has ABS, but he tells me no ABS light comes on on the dash during bulb check. Am I thinking right with a seized caliper, or do I need to head somewhere else? Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 07:20 PM
either siezed caliper or bad flex hose, sometimes the inner wall of the hose collaspes and wont release pressure to allow the caliper to release
try to bleed the caliper, if it releases from that then probably the hose, if it is still seized most likely needs a new piston and seals

murphy was an optimist

Old 04-06-10, 08:08 PM
Additionally, I am told the caliper seizes while the vehicle is moving (brake generating heat) and releases when it cools. This is consistent with my experience with heavy vehicles (amphibious) with 6-wheel non-ABS disc brakes. When they are really bad, you cannot depress the pistons with any tool known to man, you can only pry caliper, pads and all from the rotor - bad day at the office!

Old 04-09-10, 09:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the car have an insane amont of miles on it? I just owndered becaust that shouldn't happen to a 3 year old car unless it was heavily abused.

Old 04-10-10, 04:12 AM
Fewer than 50K miles on the clock. Got to look at it Thursday night - it's a disc front/drum rear setup, no ABS module that I could locate. Had a friend replace the offending caliper and the problem remains. Next is the flex hose to the caliper. Is it possible for a proportioning valve to hang one cylinder or caliper? Also, I've heard that at some point GM was having trouble with brake flex hoses collapsing and/or coming apart inside, but my dealer parts guy says he hasn't sold a single copy of the caliper hose to a customer in his six years at the dealership. Anyone know more about this issue? Thanks again in advance - Chris

Old 04-13-10, 02:04 PM
if you had the front brakes recently replaced by yourself or someone tell them not to let the caliper hang by the hose as that will collapse the line.. Sure sounds like its time to replace the hose.. on 50k the nuts wont be siezed yet.. start with that.. but i bet someone let the caliper hang and not support it