AC Problem

Old 04-10-10, 07:21 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Problem

I have a 2002 Nissian Frontier, my AC does not always come on. When it does not come on the clutch on the compresor does not move, when it does come on the compressor clutch turns and blows cold. The freon level is where it should be, and the belt is in good shape. Anyone know why the AC does not always kick in. Thank you in advance for your help.

Dave

Old 04-10-10, 08:13 AM
B
The proper way to check the refrigerant is with high/low gauges and a factory pressure chart which would show the appropriate pressures depending on the outside temperature.

Was this done?

If the pressure is too low or too high, this can cause an A/C system to not run. (Needs to be just right.)

The pressures will change with the outside temperatures!

The above is the first thing I would check. The pressure specifications would be in a factory service manual set of books which you can order from your dealer.

Then other than that, there can be all sorts of problems which would cause an A/C system to not run. Especially with a newer electronically controlled system which has temperature sensors. Best to use the factory service manual set of books for troubleshooting.

If electronically controlled and has temperature sensors... 1st reread the owner's manual to be sure you are operating it correctly. Sometimes people have trouble with these because they don't understand the function of a certain button or whatever.

Next read the description of operation in the factory service manuals A/C section - learn how the system works - how it should work under different situations.

For example under certain engine situations, the engine computer might shut off the A/C compressor. Good to know that when troubleshooting!

Then follow the troubleshooting instructions in the manual. You will need pressure gauges and a multimeter.

How to use a multimeter...
how to use a multimeter on a car - Google Search

Old 04-10-10, 12:44 PM
L
Thank you Bill for that info. I did have an AC shop put a gauge on the system, they said the freon was right were it should be, at first they also thought it may just be low. They did not mention the other things that you did that also may be the cause. They wanted to sell me a new compressor, evap, and dryer for over $1,200.00. Thanks again.

Dave

Old 04-11-10, 01:19 AM
Check the air gap on the compressor clutch... If it's too wide the magnet can't pull it in.. Sorry, I don't know the spec, tho but maybe your Nissan dealer would tell you?? Adjust it by removing shims under the center part of the clutch... Roger

Old 04-11-10, 08:11 AM
B
Originally Posted by LI handyman
...They wanted to sell me a new compressor, evap, and dryer for over $1,200.00.
I don't think so!

First simply measure with a voltmeter and see if the compressor is getting +12 volts or not. (Measure on DC 20 volt scale.)

If it is getting +12 volts when the compressor runs, BUT NOT when it is not running, then something electrical is the problem. And this would seem to imply that if +12 volts was present, the compressor WOULD run.

Here are the experts on A/C located in HOT Arizona...
Automotive AC Information Forum - ACKITS.COM

Old 04-12-10, 12:09 PM
L
Ok , will do. Thanks again for everyones help.

Dave

Old 04-14-10, 09:41 AM
K
Check for a relay that controls the system, like an a/c clutch relay. They are sometimes the culprit in a system that operates intermittently.

Old 04-16-10, 05:17 AM
L
Where would the relay be, I don't see it near the compressor ?

Dave

Old 04-16-10, 06:00 AM
K
I don't know where the relay is located, or whether it has one. You could check the following link for specific information about your vehicle.

Nissan Service Manuals

Caution: This link was posted before on this site, but taken down because it sets off virus warnings for certain members, though nobody reported getting a virus from it.

Old 04-16-10, 06:07 PM
L
Thank you, I ill take a look.

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: