A Durango Saga

Old 04-16-10, 04:44 PM
A Durango Saga

A short story that started in Jan 2010. I'm dealing with a very sick wife so this thing isn't #1 on the priority list.

Jan, 2010. I'm in Jersey visiting family. Driving the 05 Durango V-8 (non-hemi) 4.7L.

I stop for gas at the beginning of the trip back to VA. A mile down the road the engine light comes on. In Jersey you can't pump your own gas. First thing I think is the guy didn't screw the gas cap on all the way. I checked the gas cap when I had to pull over and get out of this uncomfortable for a long drive Durango. Caps on tight.

I bring the thing in for service in Feb (extended warranty already paid for with other repairs) they get code P2096. New O2 sensor, 50 bucks.

I take the thing home. 5 days later, I have to take the wife for a Doc appointment. First time driving the vehicle since returning from the dealer. Maybe 1/4 mile from the house, engine light comes on.

April comes around, I have a lull in Doc appointments and get it back to the dealer (Carmax) They get the same code. No Vac leaks found either. They take it to a Ford place. The Ford place says they cleared the code and took it for a drive. The Ford place said that when the engine light came on they got a code for cyl #3 misfire. Total of 4.4 miles driven between drop off and pick by me.

The Ford place wants to charge $160 or so to change plugs that cost $4. I'll DIY.

I borrowed a code reader and drove 15 miles from the dealer to home. Code P2096 pending on the reader.

Changing plugs in the morning and taking a drive myself.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-10, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad View Post
The Ford place wants to charge $160 or so to change plugs that cost $4. I'll DIY.

I borrowed a code reader and drove 15 miles from the dealer to home. Code P2096 pending on the reader.

Changing plugs in the morning and taking a drive myself.

Any thoughts?
Yes. What is code P2096?

And let us know, if you can re-clear the codes, if changing the plugs helped? And let us know if there are plugs that are hard to get at.

Old 04-16-10, 05:51 PM
Ec good catch!
Text from dealer report.

"The check engine light is on for a code P2096 downstrean post catalyst fuel trim system 1 lean, bank 2 has been replaced no vac leaks are showing or exhaust"

As I said I'm going to change plugs and take a drive. See what happens.

I'll post back.

Good to have someone I "know" post back.

Old 04-16-10, 06:32 PM
Hate to tell ya but that code is for the LEFT rear o2 sensor if they R&R/d the right they did the wrong one. In their defense Ford does number them opposite of Dodge. LOL
Here is a portion of the tech stuff related to that code

When Monitored
With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery temperature above (-7C) 20F, altitude below 8500 ft.

Set Condition
If the PCM multiplies short term compensation by long term adaptive as well as a purge fuel multiplier and the result is below a certain value for 30 seconds over two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes

* EXHAUST LEAK
* ENGINE MECHANICAL
* 1/2 O2 SENSOR
* (K141) O2 SENSOR 1/2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
* (K299) O2 1/2 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT
* (K904) O2 RETURN DOWNSTREAM CIRCUIT
* FUEL CONTAMINATION
Good Luck Mod

Old 04-16-10, 06:41 PM
Exactly why I posted Manic!

As said, I'll change plugs. See what happens and will post back.

Old 04-16-10, 07:15 PM
Shot in the dark, but I do 8 -10 of them a week.

Durango/Dakota, 4.7L.....Drivers side exhaust manifold, the two rear bolts (Closest to the firewall) shear off, and produces an exhaust leak, (Sometimes to minor to notice) and P02096. It can happen on the right side as well.

With the truck ICE cold, start it and listen for the exhaust "PUTT-PUTT" in the left wheel well.

Second , Check the 02 sensor itself for poor ground. the Ground straps for the exhaust pipes rot and fall off, or the pipes themselves rot and cause a poor ground to the sensor body......

Unless you have a definitive misfire, I would put the plugs in a safe place until ya need em' ....They wont help a fuel trim problem, and unless the C/E lamp is flashing at you while driving...the truck isnt misfiring.

Old 04-17-10, 01:29 PM
Ok, now I'm embarrassed! I thought for sure the I had changed the plugs on this truck at least once. Nope! Left side 1, 3, 5, and 7 - Autolite AP5224's. Right side 2, 4, 6, and 8 - Champion RC12MCC4's, look like originals.

All the coils "looked" good. No extra carbon, no cracks.

Took a short ride to Lowe's 5 miles each way. P2096 pending.

Cleared the code. Took a longer drive to town. 10 mile from the house on the highway the light came on. Hard P2096, pending P2096. And a little later a P0300 (multiple cyl misfire detected.

While I was in town I picked up an upstream O2 sensor, only 30 bucks.

Truck is up on stands now cooling off.

Manic, only 2 sensors here, up and down stream. Not Cali emissions.

Uncle, I forgot to inspect grounds and didn't hear anything like an exhaust leak.

I'll post back after more investigation.

Old 04-17-10, 02:29 PM
Now that I can get fully under the thing I see the right side catalyst. The post sensor there looks to have the same wire length as the pre sensor I bought today.

Same sensor? Are the different sensor part numbers the same thing with different wire lengths?

I just might try it.

Old 04-18-10, 03:48 PM
Sorry mod assumed you had duel exh.(more common) The sensors on the single are the same number and spec.You are probably getting the random misfire from the lean condition. Be it sensor caused or possibly fuel inj. caused.Look closely at the plugs and wires(O2 sensors) to look for possible burn through/heat stress and corroded pins double checking to make sure they didn't cross the connectors for the front to rear is also a good idea.(happens to the best of us)LOL With a lean condition like the ECU is seeing there should be a noticeable fuel smell when it trys to compensate by increasing pulse width on the fuel.Agree with Unc the most common cause is an exh leak sucking air in the system causing the false read.don't see as many a week as he does but his weekly is about what I see monthly 90% of the time on the bolts under the shield.
Good Luck

Old 04-19-10, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
90% of the time on the bolts under the shield.
Good Luck
Arent they fun when they break Flush or below the head surface??????.

The reason I see so many of them is because the dealership I work for is primarily Dodge Trucks, and a Bulletin was just released to include the new HEMI's, as well as the 4.7, which now brings the Jeep line into the mix.

JarredsDad.....Hmmmm...05 you say......How many miles???? If the manifolds are indeed a problem....7/70 powertrain picks up the tab.

Old 04-20-10, 02:21 PM
86000 there about. Bought an extended warranty with the truck.

I'm going to bring it to the Dodge dealer next week ( I hope) this week is all Doc appointments for my wife.

Over the weekend I bought an "Exact fit" sensor for the right side. Ended up the plug was different.

Now the code is "hard" and won't clear even when stone cold.

I'm just going t get it fixed, get past the wife torubles and trade in for something else.

Old 04-20-10, 03:17 PM
Hope she gets well soon!!

Old 04-20-10, 04:33 PM
Me too. You got a spare liver you can send over?

Old 04-21-10, 11:52 AM
Very ironic, I volunteered to donate part of my liver to a friend of a friend. the guy was too sick I guess to try for a match. I'm blood type O-.

Old 04-21-10, 02:06 PM
Hey Mod I'm AB neg if that would help

Old 04-21-10, 02:15 PM
I myself am B+ if that helps.

Old 04-21-10, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, but she needs the whole thing. I'm a match if she only needed a piece. No dice, hers is 90% gone, gotta get a whole one.

Old 04-21-10, 03:18 PM
Did a little reearch on it a while ago. What they do is take 1/2 from the donor and give it to the recipeint. It will get to full size in 6 to 8 weeks. donor side is 8 hours on the table ( i think it was 8), one night in ICU, rest of a week in the hospital, NO work for 4-6 weeks. Lot easier to get from a living donor due to the fact no long waiting list if someone volunteers for it.

Old 05-29-10, 11:16 AM
It's over! At least I hope it is. I finally got the truck to the Dodge dealer. They found that #3 injector was sticking open and 1, 5, and 7 running lean as a result. So a new injector and I let them do a fuel system service. $220 out the door.

I hope it lasts until I can get rid of the gas sucking *******!

My wife didn't make it. She passed on May 8th. The Durango still isn't my #1 priority and will mostly sit in the driveway.

Old 05-29-10, 11:23 AM
Very sorry to hear about your wife. Glad to hear you got the truck fixed.

I am almost in the same position as you in terms of vehicles. Have a 95 Crown vic that takes about 1/3 of my paycheck for gas each week due to the fact I drive 500 miles a week. It has been advertised on the classified site starting with c and ending in list since the day I got the title for it so I can legally sell or trade it.

Last edited by NEsportsfan; 05-29-10 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added 2 words.