oil drain bolt

Old 04-24-10, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
oil drain bolt

On the 4.6L enginne on my 95 Crown vic, the oil drain goes to the left instead of straight down. Does this cause a problem of not all the oil comming out while changing it. Also amazing how tight the oil filter access is on that car. I can only turn it 1/64th of a turn due to large hands. Luckily one of those wristband rubber bands helped with that.,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-10, 03:28 PM
Yes and No......

Considering unless you leave the plug out overnight, all the oil never comes out anyway.

Not enough of an issue to loose sleep over....

Old 04-24-10, 04:26 PM
You can usually find a better yoga position to get a good grip on a filter on a car that you work on alot. Instead of settling for poor access. The rubber band is a good adaptation though.

Hey! Next time you change your oil filter lie down on a twister matt instead of a plain old piece of cardboard. Ya know? Make a game out of it.

Old 04-25-10, 10:17 AM
The irritating thing is that you can touch the oil filter from under the hood. If my hand was a little less wide, the oil filter wouldn't be as much of an issue. Granted it is a little strange to take the driver's front tire off for better access. The back wheels of my floor jack left the ground by a couple inches when I ws jacking it up. Sure was fun getting the jackstand out after it sank ito the pavement of the driveway a little bit.

Thank you Uncle, I am just more used to the straight vertical plugs. that style does make it easier to take out the plug without getting my wrist a generous coating of 5w30.

Mick, how'dja guess I used cardboard? If you have a wholesale club membership, you can get some great big pieces from boxes that you can break down. With a twister mat, the spilled oil won't sink in at all.

Old 04-25-10, 10:46 AM
Hey.....Wait a minute.... You could get an Assistant (Cute Bikini Model perhaps) to help change your oil, and then play twister on an oil soaked Mat..........

Is this by chance an Interceptor???.. There are several options for adapters, angles and "Relocation" devices available from Ford.

Old 04-25-10, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Hey.....Wait a minute.... You could get an Assistant (Cute Bikini Model perhaps) to help change your oil, and then play twister on an oil soaked Mat..........
Wow. That would REALLY be making a game out of it.

Old 04-25-10, 01:23 PM
No, it is the Canadian model with the 4.6 engine (first year of it). The model might be too much of a distraction. I do have a 1.2 gallon container of orange grit hand cleaner (gotta love BJ's Wholesale club), It has been about 3 years since my last relationship. I did debate cutting out part of the support that is blocking access but figured it would be a bad idea.

Not sure how long I am keeping the car. I am trying to trade it on craigslist for an older but smaller car that gets better gas mileage. My paycheck doesn't really support 21 mpg very well, especailly at 500 miles per week.