Used car recommendations from mechanics

Old 04-27-10, 08:40 AM
Used car recommendations from mechanics

Hi all,
I'm would soon like to purchase a 4-5 yr. old used car and wanted to see what the professional mechanics are recommending for make/models of cars, or anyone that's purchased a used car recently. Basic model, 4/6 cyl, good gas economy, 4 dr, with as reasonable design for the DIY'er to work on for basic maintenance (oil changes, serpentine belt changing, replacing filters, even alternator replacement...)

I'd like to avoid cars that you have to lift the engine to change the serpentine belt or spark plugs; as well as those that don't have a transmission fluid dipstick or sealed transmission unit. And scratch those that only use proprietary OEM replacement parts.

While I'd prefer a domestic car, some of the older Toyotas appeared to have a lot of these design characteristics. Recent postings here on new Toyotas though don't sound encouraging.

Thanks for your time and reply.
Greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-10, 09:57 PM
I would reccomend any GM 3800 car.

Old 04-28-10, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
If you search the archives here you should find a relatively new thread that was running on the subject.

Old 04-28-10, 06:27 AM
Tow_Guy & xjfish

Thanks,
I'll give archive search a try...

Already got a 3800 LeSabre and 3100 Malibu... The original engine blew after only 123K miles and was replaced with a Jasper rebuilt motor last year.
The Malibu has its own problems in the past with fuel pump, key lock, struts need replaced again after only 2 years...

I was just curious if other makes/models of cars have given any better service.
Greynold99

Old 04-28-10, 10:06 AM
Tow_Guy

I've tried several key words and variations on archive search I could think of but never got a hit on anything like 'recommended used cars' or 'used car purchase'...
Do you happen to remember anything that would help?
Thanks,
greynold99

Old 04-28-10, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
I think this might be the thread tow_guy is referring to:

http://forum.doityourself.com/buying...derations.html

Old 04-28-10, 10:36 AM
Thanks Shadeladie

That was just what I was looking for...

Never thought to use 'cheap' for archive search but what could be more appropriate.

Just hoping to avoid those cars that have a well known defect that I don't become aware of until I 'own it', like the GM Intake Manifold Gasket failure or a car that has a sealed Transmission with no way to change fluid/filter... heck, I probably wouldn't of even bought the Malibu if I had known it didn't have a Transmission Fluid Dipstick.
The 'good' list matches some of my picks but I was surprised some of the lower-end economy cars didn't make it - I once heard and it made sense that any car the company makes tons of, is probably going to last since they get good at making one type of car ... But, that's from a guy who had a 77 Chev Vega and loved it because I could work on it - change the timing belt, brakes, contrived an air-filter that took a replaceable paper-element rather than have to purchase that sealed unit every time.