Sagging driver's door

Old 04-28-10, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sagging driver's door

i imagine this is a fairly universal problem on older cars. Would putting a piece of wood on a floor jack, jacking up the door, and tighten the hinge bolts if able fix this issue? Thank you much for any input!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 04:21 AM
Unless there has been undue pressure placed on the door, such as a heavy kid hanging on it, I would suggest checking the integrity of the hinge pin. Sometimes they weaken and can cause sag. If not, then a block of wood on a jack, loosen the hinge bolts, jack it slightly and tighten them up. Is the door really sagging or is it hitting the latch pin and otherwise seating well? You can move the hinge pin as well to allow for easier closing.

Old 04-29-10, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not so much the hinge pin as the bushing that hold the pin in place - sometimes they wear out and that can cause the door to sag. Readjustment is best but a cheap easy fix [but sometimes temporary] is to set a block of wood at the bottom hinge side of the door and then gently try to shut the door. This will often adjust the door where it will close properly.

Old 04-29-10, 11:08 AM
It is at the point where you almost have to slam the door shut to turn off the interior light. Thank you much for the advice. I will check out the hinge pin now. HAGO!!

Old 04-29-10, 06:26 PM
You didn't say what make, model , year of vehicle, but it almost sounds like a GM. They were the most common for replacing hinge pins and bushings to remedy that. Not real hard, seeing how you've already got the block and jack ready. Not expensive parts either.

Old 05-01-10, 12:17 PM
Sorry, it's a 95 Crown Victoria. It did belong to a family before I got it. They sold it because thhey didn't really have space for it in the yard with it being the fifth most used car in the yard.

Old 05-02-10, 04:59 PM
Yah, those crown vics have pretty heavy doors as well, I'd still take a look at hinge pins and bushings. Have someone lift end of door up & down for you, or do it yourself, and take a close look for play at the pins and bushings at hinges. They shouldn't be any harder to do.