vaccum hose flattens when car is running?

Old 05-07-10, 09:47 AM
vaccum hose flattens when car is running?

This is a 1995 buick LeSabre. I noticed when I hit the throttle, I hear a hissing sound. Upon checking the vaccum hoses, I realized that one of the rubber hoses, connecting to hard plastic hoses, is completly flat when the motor runs. This hose goes from the vaccum source to the fuel vapor canistor. Any ideas what could be the problem? Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-10, 11:39 AM
In this case all you will need to do is replace this hose with a direct replacement part. It isn't caused by anything wrong with the engine. But I think that this whole hose should be rigid like the hoses you say it connects to.
Are the hard plastic hoses that it connects to elbows or lengths of plastic hose that look sawn or cut? Because if your not the original owner, this could be a patch job, making it necessary for you to obtain the whole part so that your replacing more than this section.
If heater hose was used to patch PVC tube, it'll just weaken over time and do this.
The hissing sound may be caused by the over taxed clamp seal at the low pressure end having to suck in outside air because the hose is pinched off from the other end or because now there may be more clamps than neccsary and should go away after you identify and put in a replacement.

Old 05-07-10, 11:58 AM
hmmm...thats some good advice. This is actually the OEM setup. Its original to the car. The plastic lines are straight lengths and the rubber hose that flattens is a U shape. They are starting to dry rot so maybe they're just old. I picked up some fuel hose of the same ID. This is thicker, should resist flattening, and can be bent into a U without kinking. DOes this sound like I'm on the right track?

Old 05-07-10, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by strider380 View Post
I picked up some fuel hose of the same ID. This is thicker, should resist flattening, and can be bent into a U without kinking. DOes this sound like I'm on the right track?
I can't really answer that without knowing what hose this is, but I can tell you that anything that won't collapse is better than what's currently on there. Pressure hose and vacuum hose are made of different materials for obvious reasons, which in turn depends on application, but all that comes into play in the context of longevity. Should last for a long while though.

Hey if it works, it works!

Old 05-07-10, 08:03 PM
fuel line make quite good vacum hose, check to see that the vapor canister is working properly .

Murphy was an optimist

Search this Thread