Recommend Diagnostic Software

Old 05-08-10, 06:15 PM
Recommend Diagnostic Software

Can anyone recommend some OBD-II diagnostic software that I can put on a laptop? I'm looking for something fairly powerful to analyze a bunch of parameters and solve my pinging/hesitation problem with my 2004 Crown Victoria PI.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-10, 06:43 PM
The software in your PCM actually performs diagnostic processes before it writes a code.

Anything that will display frames of or live data on a laptop will only enable you to see sensor output or graph it and compare it with different scenarios according to your own knowledge and experience with OBD output.

So you... you're the best program that I recommend.

And there's nothing wrong with diagnosing basic engine performance issues using direct methods.

EDIT: search the forums for OBD2. Someone recently posted some good findings on software sources. Was it Bill90?

Old 05-08-10, 07:36 PM
I'm looking into this due to my problem described in my thread here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/automo...esitation.html

Unfortunately I've got nowhere using direct methods so I was hoping by being able to see various parameters I could pinpoint exactly what's going wrong - say if I'm leaning out at a certain point or if my torque converter is locking up when it shouldn't be.

Old 05-08-10, 09:34 PM
Have you checked the fuel pressure yet?? A lazy fuel pump can cause lots of strange things,,, Just a thought from a Tech that worked 20+ years @ a Ford dealership... No reflash on this??? Roger

Old 05-09-10, 10:55 AM
2004+ Vic's apparently require a scan tool to check fuel pressure instead of just a gauge and Schroeder valve. And apparently Ford didn't check this or didn't tell me when I took it to them to be checked with ids.

Old 05-09-10, 10:21 PM
Scantool.net has the stuff your looking for at a reasonable price for the DIY'r Cody. I'm still in the "biz" so I have their top line with all add on software but you should see a package that will work for you from 59 to around 150 more if you want more the detailed software they have (a killer Ford add on for aprox 70 bucks) Before you know it you'll have people knocking your door down.LOL