Engine Flush

Old 05-09-10, 03:00 AM
Engine Flush

I got an emissions test done and the mechanic told me I needed an oil change and an engine flush. An oil change makes sense, but I've never heard of an engine flush. I did a Google search and I see that some people think an engine flush is unnecessary/scam/waste of money. I'm not sure what to think. He said there was a lot of build up in my engine which could mess everything up. So, I don't know. Do I need an engine flush? Is it easier to do one myself? If so, how?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-10, 05:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

If the engine has had regular oil changes it shouldn't need to be flushed. If it hasn't, an engine flush might help..... or it might cause a whole new set problems by loosening up crud [coming loose after the flush] that might float around in the system plugging something up

Old 05-09-10, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Engine flush = profit center for garages and quick lube places.

Old 05-09-10, 07:24 AM
How does your mechanic know the engine is gummed up? Did he remove any engine components to inspect the internal parts?
If an engine is SEVERLY gummed up, the oil pan must be removed to clean the oil pump screen and remove the loose scale particles. If this is not done, the loose sludge will settle to the bottom of the pan and will most likely plug the oil pickup screen.
With modern day engines and premium oils, it is rare to see a gummed up engine if service intervals were done according to manufacturer. If this does happen, it is most likely due to evaporater system malfunction allowing moisture to build up. etc: PCV valve malfunction--plugged transfer tubing--and other items.

Old 05-09-10, 07:24 AM
Thanks, marksr. It's been awhile since I've had an oil change, so maybe I do need one? How much do they cost, and could I do it myself?

Old 05-09-10, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
How does your mechanic know the engine is gummed up? Did he remove any engine components to inspect the internal parts?
If an engine is SEVERLY gummed up, the oil pan must be removed to clean the oil pump screen and remove the loose scale particles. If this is not done, the loose sludge will settle to the bottom of the pan and will most likely plug the oil pickup screen.
With modern day engines and premium oils, it is rare to see a gummed up engine if service intervals were done according to manufacturer. If this does happen, it is most likely due to evaporater system malfunction allowing moisture to build up. etc: PCV valve malfunction--plugged transfer tubing--and other items.
He took off a cap and let me look inside. It did look kind of cruddy.

Old 05-09-10, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by jason999 View Post
Thanks, marksr. It's been awhile since I've had an oil change, so maybe I do need one? How much do they cost, and could I do it myself?
If it been long enough that you can't remember what an oil change cost---your engine most likely is gummed up!

Old 05-09-10, 11:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Beware of the $14.99 or less oil change. I have heard stories of recycling used filters, hollowed out filters, not enough oil, put in. If you use a good oil, which is nonsynthetic and a good filter, it would cost about $20 for the materials. For example, one of the chains, not AZ offered 5 quarts of Valvoline and the upgraded Purolator filter for $18.95 + tax or something close to that as a promo. I did one on my car about 3 weeks ago, already about halfway to the 3,000 mile mark.

Old 05-09-10, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
AZ alternates brands of oil/filter on sale for $16.99 [?] The hi mileage and synthetic blend is 19.99 when it's on sale. That's when I buy or stock up on valvoline.

You can buy a quart of oil flush to add to your oil just before changing [you don't drive or operate the car] and run it for a few minutes but like Giles said, that can break loose gunk that can cause more problems. Removing the oil pan will help but may not rid you of all the loose crud Sometimes getting back on a regular oil change schedule [with quality oil] will clean the engine up over time.

Old 05-09-10, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
If it been long enough that you can't remember what an oil change cost---your engine most likely is gummed up!
I was talking about an engine flush!

Old 05-10-10, 03:47 PM
I prefer Advance Auto parts due to the fact if I need a part and they don't have it, they can normally get it in a few hours instead of a week

Old 05-14-10, 06:11 PM
Ive been doing my own oil changes for 20 years, and know ALOT about oil.. bobistheoilguy.com is a terific place to learn.
Engine flushes can be dangerous with the wrong stuff. Strongest chemical yuo can buy, is Berryman B 12..its basically staright up Toluene in a can. You pour it in on a COLD engine, not hot* and let the car idle for a good 40 minutes. Most other flushes are just straight up Kerosiene.
Thier are 2 methods you can do that WILL work. Got to NAPA, autozone, advance auto ect, and look for a red bottle called Marvel mystery oil. also known as MMO. use i quart in place of a quart of oil, and run it for 500- 1000 miles. Ive seen pics of oil engineers who have cleaned up sludged up engines in this manner. adding it to yuor gas, 4 ozs per 10 gallons will also keep the feul system protected lubed and clean.
Use mobil 1 synthetic. Mobil 1 is one of THE only true sythetics on the market. Most are group 111 oils, in terms of synthetics. in other words, brands like quake state synthetic, valvoline synthetic, pennzoil platinum, are the fake stuff.
Mobil 1 DOES clean up, ive seen many pics of torn down ssludgers cleaned up to factory lookiing conditons. BUt...mobil 1 seems to have very bad wear numbers..over a long long time, its not good for the bearings* its cleans much better than it protects.
Ive used mobil 1 quite a few times, on my 95 neon. after 2 years of using and 6 ,000 miles, one day changed my oil, and noticed a huge puddle of oil...engine leaked. it cleand up my engine so well, it leaked throught the seals, so be warned, a true synthetic can clean everything up so well, be prepaired for engine leaks.
Look for a prodcut called emissions for dummies. as funny as it sounds, the stuff actually works! or look for a gold bottle of GUmout Regaine. put bottle in on half a tank of gas for maximum run through and cleaning. its one of the only true cleaning prodcuts for fuel system and combustion chamber containing PAO...a synthetic cleaning agent. the rest are basically just fancy Kerosine.
Change those spark plugs too, especially before an emissions test. its not hard to do.
hope this info helps!

Old 05-14-10, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Anybody read the latest Car Talk column? Reader wrote in to ask about his practice of changing oil about every 10,000 miles and his procedure was to drain the oil, refill with diesel fuel, run for 5 minutes, then drain and fill with fresh oil. He's at 100,000 miles.

Here's the Q&A:

Car Talk

Incredible.

Old 05-14-10, 08:22 PM
These guys are so technically astute yet manage to be so darn scatalogical at the same time. But I had trouble understanding the column without the Hah-vid accent.

These guys still on NPR?

Old 05-15-10, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Beats me, I don't even know what the local NPR station is; we get their Q&A column in Friday's paper.

Old 05-15-10, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...they're still on. I get 'em on 2 AZ stations @ 10AM Sat, then at 11 on the NV station, and 2 more times on Sun...lol. My reception is so poor most days, I just listen on the web when it works best for me.

Old 05-19-10, 07:22 PM
duplicate-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by wiillix; 05-19-10 at 07:30 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-19-10, 07:26 PM
You can listen to the current weeks show any time here.
Car Talk Here's and good example of never needing a oil flush.
YouTube - Mercedes Million Kilometer Test - Long Version

Old 05-19-10, 07:58 PM
the only time you need an engine flush is as was stated earlier, extreme high mileage between oil changes, lots of moisture in engine(can be caused by lots of stop and go or by bad component's) poor quality oil(penzoil-mystic, etc). use a good quality oil and do regular oil changes, you will not need an engine flush

Murphy was an optimist

Old 05-20-10, 06:40 AM
Penzoil is bad? Used it a couple times, had no issues with it. I tend to normally get what the auto parts storeis running a special on, oil in my car is Valvoline. they noramlly run a deal on Castrol.

Old 05-20-10, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
Penzoil is bad? Used it a couple times, had no issues with it. I tend to normally get what the auto parts storeis running a special on, oil in my car is Valvoline. they noramlly run a deal on Castrol.
All those brands are VG quality.

Old 05-20-10, 03:05 PM
If the container has the "starburst" symble on the container it is quality.

Old 05-20-10, 11:09 PM
I have never heard of an engine flush. I mess with some performance cars and have never flushed or had the need to flush any of my motors. I couldn't see flushing a motor taking out anything but metal shavings and debris that shouldn't be in the motor in the first place.