2001 Mazda Tribute stuck in park

Old 05-13-10, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This afternoon I parked my SUV at a friends house and put it in park as I normally would and turned off the ignition. When I returned and tried to turn the SUV on to leave I couldn't get it out of park. My friend tried to rock the SUV back and forth while I put my foot on the brake and started it. The gear shift handle on the column refused to budge out of park and I had to leave the car there. I also turned the steering wheel right and left which didn't help either. The SUV was parked on the grass on a very slight incline with the front of the SUV facing down hill. This never happened to me before. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-10, 09:33 PM
tring to clarify a bit.
1st-did the ign ket turn all the way,to start-& the eng start?
!if so the shift interlock mechanisum is at fault.
1st try-turn the key- on- to the 1st felt notch-put foot on brake -shift to neutral/ try to start & drive away( do not put back in park-use parking brake)
also-if you look in the owners manual- there is ususaly a descripyion of how to over ride the shift interlock!
alot of the times the shift interlock i s faulted by a 'poped' fuse that is caused by someone using a power plug to use something not at the proper voltage/amps.

send back more info!

Old 05-14-10, 06:32 PM

Changed the 15 amp fuse and the gear shifter came right out of park. Thanks so much for your expert advice.