454 HEI ignition shut down

Old 05-17-10, 10:25 AM
Cool 454 HEI ignition shut down

I 454 chevy in a cj7. It will quit like you turned the switch off at any given time, but will start back up. There is no pattern. It may run all day without a problem or it may run 10 seconds and quit. I have installed a new distributor and ignition switch. Still have a problem. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-10, 08:02 PM
A 454 in a CJ????? what is that, about 17 gallons to to the Mile on the highway????

Just for giggles, Take the distributor back out, and "Toss" the paper gasket. I know, I Know, It gets grounded thru the hold down anyway, But Ive seen this on everything from Full out race , to the Tech 4 -2.5 GM's. Any crud on the hold down, and you will lose ground to the distributor body. The Ignition module and Coil are both grounded to the body of the distributor, so if you lose your return path, The Ignition system shuts down. (Probably worse when its hot).

#2---look carefully at the power feed to the Cap. HEI uses a straight feed of 12 v, Where Mopar used a resistance wire to feed the coil. Was this an installation "KIT", or did you run the wiring from the OLD "RENIX" module box???

#3---With that monster "Shoehorned" into the engine compartment , It is not out of the question for something to rub on an exhaust manifold and intermittently "SHORT -OUT".

Old 05-17-10, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
A 454 in a CJ????? what is that, about 17 gallons to to the Mile on the highway????

Just for giggles, Take the distributor back out, and "Toss" the paper gasket. I know, I Know, It gets grounded thru the hold down anyway, But Ive seen this on everything from Full out race , to the Tech 4 -2.5 GM's. Any crud on the hold down, and you will lose ground to the distributor body. The Ignition module and Coil are both grounded to the body of the distributor, so if you lose your return path, The Ignition system shuts down. (Probably worse when its hot).

#2---look carefully at the power feed to the Cap. HEI uses a straight feed of 12 v, Where Mopar used a resistance wire to feed the coil. Was this an installation "KIT", or did you run the wiring from the OLD "RENIX" module box???

#3---With that monster "Shoehorned" into the engine compartment , It is not out of the question for something to rub on an exhaust manifold and intermittently "SHORT -OUT".
that ought to keeping him thinking,looking-while we get some sleep-(LOL)

Old 05-19-10, 05:09 AM
I heard of old Blazers stopping after a left turn and be perfect running after. Turned out to be the ground from engine to body was to short and would have and intermittant short when accelerated left.
I would check the Pos and neg cables

Old 05-19-10, 11:45 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post

You have the milage just about right. I will try removing the gasket. This was an install kit. Thanks. 86cj7454

Old 05-19-10, 11:59 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
I heard of old Blazers stopping after a left turn and be perfect running after. Turned out to be the ground from engine to body was to short and would have and intermittant short when accelerated left.
I would check the Pos and neg cables

I will check out. Thanks 86cj7454

Old 05-19-10, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What happens to the lights (or blower, etc.) when it quits?

Old 05-19-10, 07:09 PM
one other thing to check, pull the ignition module and give it a good layer of dielectric grease between it and the mount of the distributor, they can over heat and cause intermittent dieing.

Murphy was and optimist

Old 05-20-10, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
What happens to the lights (or blower, etc.) when it quits?
The lights, heater etc. Everything except the engine.

Old 05-20-10, 07:16 AM
I will give it a shot. Thanks