How much to grind one crank journal

Old 05-21-10, 06:34 AM
How much to grind one crank journal

I have Buick 3.8 series 2 engine with spun bearing and I wish to know how much to regrind the one crank journal if I took the crank to them in my hands?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-10, 06:48 AM
Around here you could regrind a crank for $100, but you wouldn't want to do just one journal. I'm not sure how that would affect the balance of the crank, but anyone working on it later would probably hold it against you.

You'd still have to buy a set of over sized bearings - that wouldn't be a big issue in itself, though.

Old 05-21-10, 09:01 AM
marbobj
So maybe around $100 will do all the rod journals?
And if I did just one that the next guy might hold it against me for doing a half ___ job?

Im likely to be the last owner. Just a project on a old car with 240000km on it.

Thanks

Old 05-21-10, 09:24 AM
years ago(40) i worked in a gas station/used car lot.
i recall a mobile co. that would come to the shop,with a contraption that would grind the bad rod journal 'in the car"
i would already have the heads off & the 2 pistons out.
(havent seen such since then)
note-you will need the rods resized/or just buy reconditioned rods.

Old 05-21-10, 09:39 AM
It's not the half job thing, but someone else may not catch the under sized journal and it may get a standard put back on it.

But if you get down to it - last owner - I guess I wouldn't give it a second thought. Everything I own goes from me to the crusher anyway.

Yeah, a $100 would do it around here - all rods with the crank cleaned up and in hand. Usually if it's bad enough to go beyond that the crank is a throw away.

Old 05-22-10, 04:59 AM
I have a set of new standard bearings for the engine so now I am wondering if I can just get one journal ground down. That way I can use the new standard bearings and just get one oversize bearing.
I was thinking of just getting a standard connecting rod. It would not have to be ground would it.
I think the way it works is that the oversize bearing makes up the clearance between a standard size connecting rod and a undersize crankshaft journal. Is that right???
P.S. I will not be racing with this car.

Thanks for the input

Old 05-31-10, 11:00 PM
grind crank

Yes you can grind one journal if the rest are in good shape. As stated above we used to do them in the car, but it got to where you couldnt even get the pans off much less do anything in the car. You would need an undersized brng for that journal and if the brng spun you will need a rod or recondition yours.