Best used mini van for the bucks

Old 05-22-10, 03:00 AM
Best used mini van for the bucks

Hi all!
I am new to this forum.
I am about to replace my 1998 Pontiac Montana Transport mini van.....it has 108000miles on it and have some engine issues, need some body work etc etc.....At GM dealership, they give me negative value for trade in.....hahaha....

Any way, my wife love the ride in this van, and she want to stay in the mini van concept...
Planning to get a used one in the 5000-12000$ segment.....

What is the best mini van purchase, from a DIY maintenance stand point??
For example, .....it is ridiculous that one have to take the engine apart to replace spark plugs.....Is this the case with all V-6 mini vans??

Hoping for some good advice!!

Per A

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-10, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
The rear bank of plugs on a V-6 will be problematic on most anything; fortunately most vehicles nowadays can go a long time on a set of plugs.

Thought we had a thread recently on the mini-van subject but wasn't able to find it.

My $.02 worth? Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey [this will start the Detroit v. Imports argument].

Old 05-22-10, 05:52 AM
Thank you, the_tow_guy!

The rear bank of plugs on a V-6 will be problematic on most anything; fortunately most vehicles nowadays can go a long time on a set of plugs.
Yep, I kinda have figured that out....yes my PMT van is over due on spark plugs....I remember there used to be mini vans w 4cyl engines....but we like the power in the V6....
VW Bus is an option but expensive....
SUV do not attract so much...
Ford minivan used to allow space on rear bank??

My $.02 worth? Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey [this will start the Detroit v. Imports argument]
Well what is not import today, at least for some parts...and as long as the are assembled in US it is kinda OK to me.

I'll look into some mid size/large station wagons too....

Old 05-22-10, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Funny hearing that the big old V-8 station wagons got better mpg thhan some minivans on the road.