95 Crown Vic side mirror question

Old 05-22-10, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question 95 Crown Vic side mirror question

Howdy, yesterday morning on the way to work, the driver's side mirror on my car hit a construction cone at 55 mph. The mirror bent in and the glass cracked. Would I be better off replacing the glass or going to a yard and buuying and installing another side mirror? At the parts store, they told me it would be a two week wait for the glass. I declined. thank you much for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-10, 12:08 PM
BTW, does anyone know a good lawyer for handling the appeal of the 7 years of bad luck for breaking the mirror? I am going to be repalcing the right side mirror assembly due to the fact it is being held together with tape. Not sure what the previous owner hit to do this.

Old 05-22-10, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
70 bucks for a brand new aftermarket; probably have it in a few days:

http://www.ezbodyparts.com/buy/index...ORIA&year=1995

Old 05-22-10, 03:51 PM
TY towguy. Okay, so doing just the glass is not recommended? I checked Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts. Amazing how far apart some people were. Have seen $40 used plus shipping to $80 used, One company had $64.95 for new with free shipping. Haven't checked locally yet.

Old 05-22-10, 03:55 PM
Not to be a "KILLJOY", but look carefully, and make absolutely sure that the door framing is not bent or damaged. This makes for a very disconcerning task of "The New Mirror doesnt Fit".

Ive seen Customers come in, holding a Marker lamp, asking How Much to put this on my car???? When the car comes in, the fender is wrinkled half way to the door, with No remnants of what used to be a properly sized and shaped Hole for the lamp to fit in.

Old 05-22-10, 04:36 PM
Haven't gotten that far yet. On the driver's side, the edge of the mirror got hit. The door should be realigned due to sagging less than 1/2 inch, hinge pin is straight. Passenger side, the door opens and closes fine. I did replace a parking light lens on the passenger side. the reason I was asking about the glass is because I have done the glass befoe on other vehicles, but none of them were heated or power like this one is. Took off the duct tape holding the passenger mirror. the only thing holdinng the base to the mirror is the wiring so I retaped it for now since I haven't taken the door apart yet.

Last edited by NEsportsfan; 05-22-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 05:40 PM
Actually , I meant bent or damaged from the impact. Just an edge, I wouldnt be too concerned, but if it ripped the mirror off of its mount, there is likely metal distorted in there somewhere.

Old 05-22-10, 06:05 PM
I was planning on replacing the assembly on the right side so it would look better. I looked at the driver's side and saw that it might be easier to replace the assembly than just the glass. Just wasn't entirely sure which would be a better way to go.

Old 05-29-10, 07:50 PM
Would you believe the same thing happened to me several years ago? I wasn't paying attention and drifted too close to a construction cone. The glass was knocked right off the assembly. I bought the whole assembly at Checker Auto Parts for about $30. Or you can try a junk yard. Then I had trouble removing a mounting screw, so I had to drill it out and re-thread the screw hole.