2007 Jeep - cooling fan acts up

Old 05-24-10, 06:29 PM
2007 Jeep - cooling fan acts up

Help, please! A friend has a 2007 Liberty with the 3.7 engine, single electric fan behind the radiator. When running without the AC on, the fan cycles as it should, and no hot engine results. But with the AC turned on, it seems the fan fails to run at all, with the engine getting quite hot. with the onset of summer, I would like to get the fan running correctly. I'm guessing the ECM cycles the relay for the fan until AC is on; what controls the fan then? Any/all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 07:42 PM
update - fan runs with air on, cycles with air off. Engine temp gauge shows real warm with air off, hot with air on. Temp drops with heat on. Thinking thermostat; other ideas? I've been told it could be water pump, but I would rather not think the factory unit would belly up in less than four years. Thanks again - Chris

Old 05-27-10, 07:20 PM
Newest - replaced thermostat and brought temp down to normal (for this car, I hear it runs right in the middle of the scale on the gauge). Never moved off the middle during my test drive, about three miles with A/C on. During the drive home, though, it climbed to between normal and hot. No leaks, no fluid loss reported. Temp finally came down to noirmal after returning home. Air bubble trapped in the pump outlet, needs bled MORE? And whose bright idea was it to put the thermostat in the LOWER hose inlet? Any ideas? Thanks - Chris

Old 05-27-10, 07:42 PM
most likely air in the system alright, does the coolant fan run all of the time when the a/c is on? most do until your vehicle speed hits about 35-40 mph. over that road speed will send more air thru the rad than the fan.

murphy was an optimist

Old 05-28-10, 04:33 AM
Thanks, Speedwrench. Yes, when A/C is on, fan runs full time, cycles with A/C off. Should I loosen the bleed plug with the engine running, and leave it loose until it quits bubbling? Will the bleeding need to be repeated until the temp doesn't spike any more? This represents a couple of firsts for me - thermostat low on the engine AND cooling system that requires bleeding! Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 05-29-10, 05:27 PM
Here's a new question - How does the thermostat go into the housing? Bridge toward the lower hose, spring and pellet in the block, or the other way around? The old 'stat fell out when I pulled the housing, and I may have installed the new in the familiar orientation, not even thinking it could be wrong for a thermostat-on-bottom engine. Temp is showing to climb way up when going uphill with AC on; summertime is here, AC will need to be running and engine stay cool! Any experience here? Thanks in advance - Chris