92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV - Strange Tranny issue

Old 05-28-10, 10:30 PM
Angry 92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV - Strange Tranny issue

Ok....

Left Expo parked for almost 2 years - due to Rear main leak

left gas at near empty

Cleaned her up, replaced all hoses, tossed some Gumout into the gas tank with fresh gas, fired it up... no smoke, a tad bit rough on idle for a few seconds then purred like a kitten

Motor sounds good as hell, runs smooth, the cooling system tight no leaks runs great etc....

Put it in reverse pull out of drive way - and move into drive - run it down the road and back all fine...

NEX TIME I went into drive to move the vehicle?? I had to push the pedal to the floor to get any forward motion
No over rev, it acts like the brakes are holding the car while I give it gas in Drive, 1 or 2

All normal in reverse - its just Drive that is bogged down - again just like im holding the brake pedal down and gassing it. no abnormal engine revs just sluggish moving like its in 3rd gear starting out LOL...

I am guessing LIMP MODE kicked in for some reason...

When i fire it up now the A/T Temp light flickers a few minutes then goes off

I ran through all gears for a few mins then put in Neutral and checked Tranny fluid (Manual says check in Neutral) -- it was LOW.. I ended up topping it with almost 1 and 1/2 qts fluid

Where the hell did the fluid go that was in it when I parked it I have no idea (its possible the fluid was that low when it was parked too)

Sooo - same result - sluggish in drive but reverse is perfect

What can I Check - it acts exactly like limp mode

MAF Sensor is on my list.. ill check voltages etc.. from it
what else?
where is the Shift Computer located in this car?
what wires should I check on the tranny?
AND I noticed that the brand new battery seems weak or drained

when I **** gears the lights dim??? wtf?
put it Park or Neutral lights go normal
give it gas no change to lights (so not alternator)

is it possible something goofy going on electrical that triggered Limp mode?

any ideas or input is welcome as always Thanks to anyone who helps

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-10, 08:23 AM
try disconnecting the battery for a short time.

Old 05-29-10, 07:01 PM
unplugged batt. today around 4:30pm its 10PM now

probably be unplugged over night too

any other ideas guys?

Old 05-29-10, 08:07 PM
i'm done!
possibly a faulty solonoid on/in the valve body-causing wrong clutch apply.
a word of caution,IF the trans is in 2 gears at same time-
(hydraulicly -bound)-any further driving will destroy clutches!
IF -it is just in hi gear you can putt around

Old 05-29-10, 08:40 PM
hrmm....

how can i tell if she is jammed between 2 gears?

the car was parked for a while and never moved - I had just started it up every few months... I never though hey should probably work the tranny a bit too....

soo it went from drivable and just being parked to non drivable due to tranny acting up

weird thing is today before I unplugged it -- I let the engine come to temperature.. shifted through gears -- same result as normal - drive is weak, like in third gear, etc.. so i left it in neutral for a bit - did a bit more shifting around.... A/T Temp light flickered very dim for about 10 seconds then came on fully

I shifted it to park and A/T Temp light went out? wtf lol?

NOW remember when I shift it through gears to test etc.. I am not driving it around - I put in reverse let off brake it moves back a bit I step on brake -- put into drive let off brake - it moves forward about eh quater inch then stops i tap the accelator it goes forward -- just like its in high gear right from the start

no abnormal engine revving or acting up - it acts like something heavy is attached to the rear of the car - and it takes more gas to pull it

Left battery unplugged still going to leave it unplugged probably until Monday when im off work

Checked tranny level again today too while was doing this - its where i left it last -- just a hair below Full on Hot marks
thats where I left it when I topped it off again when this first started I topped it off with about 1 1/2 qts of ATF

IDK - my other car the Daily Driver is on its last leg sooo Gotta get this tranny figured out or im out of a car totally!!

Just when **** seems to go right -- something always screws up!!

Old 05-29-10, 09:09 PM
- did a bit more shifting around.... A/T Temp light flickered very dim for about 10 seconds then came on fully

Flickering & dim lights sound like a ground problem to me.... If it sat as you say,, maybe a ground strap has corroded off,,, Look close,,, Roger

Old 05-29-10, 09:42 PM
Roger,,

you may be onto something with that..
few observations

I start the engine -- its at temperature
I disconnect negative side of battery and the engine starts idling a bit higher, reconnect the idle bogs down - so i know the alternator is working and kicking in to to charge the battery when its connected

-- Disconnected battery - rev engine interior light brightened a bit

-- connected battery - rev engine interior light about same no change

with battery connected and switching through the gears the interior lights, head lights, etc.. dim and brighten as it switches gears

IS IT POSSIBLE - the ground is not too good and it doesnt have enough power properly flowing to engage the tranny solenoids?

Where is the TCU on this vehicle and where is the ground strap? OR by Ground Strap do you mean Follow the Negative lead around the motor and see if its in good shape?

ALSO I heard running a second negative lead to the housing of the Tranny has fixed an issue similiar to this before for someone else? any thoughts on that?

Old 05-30-10, 08:19 AM
it is not a good idea to remove a battery cable-with eng running-causes voltage spike-will damage electronic components

if the trans haas 2 gears applied at the same time- the veh will stop as if the brakes are applied -when let up on throttle-instead of just slowing to a stop

Old 05-30-10, 05:03 PM
hrm.. would it do same thing if its in 3rd gear?

cuz 3rd is not enough to move it without accelerator?

Old 05-30-10, 08:40 PM
no-'if' it's in 3rd gear- it will be sluggish -on take off-on throttle release,it will just 'coast'!
not - grind to a hault-(as-if the brakes were applied)

Old 05-30-10, 09:15 PM
hrmm...

it doesnt grind to a halt - when i let off throttle it just seems to coast and slow down

im guessing it slows down fairly quick because well its not a light vehicle and im on pretty level ground

id do more testing but dont wanna risk harming the tranny

tomorrow ill plug battery back in and see if it changes anything

Old 05-30-10, 09:16 PM
Just a thought,, Is it possible the "E" brake is haning on??? They usually hold better in drive than reverse.... Roger

Old 05-30-10, 09:37 PM
I thought of that but was not sure if thats the case because it moved in reverse extremely easy

funny thing though -- when in Neutral I can drift the car backwards but i can hardly push it forwards?

possible the e-brake really is the issue? it just dont make since

-- are you sure the E-brake does not hold well in reverse lol? isnt that the entire purpose of a E-brake to prevent rolling backwards or forwards?

ALSO.. whats a good way to check the brake? climb under and check the cable?

i would guess if its Tight when ebrake is off that means it is stuck?

Old 05-31-10, 07:13 AM
E-brake was supposed to be a mechanical brake to stop you if you have a hydraulic failure... it's just evolved over the years into a park brake...Thus the 2 names for the same thing (& car companies dislike the word "emergency").. Jack up the wheels & see if they turn.... Roger

Old 05-31-10, 01:08 PM
did some testing today

no problems coasting - the tranny is just sluggish like stated before

wheels rotate fine

the strip of road I test on - I get to about 30 mph before I gotta slow down

but you can tell its sluggish because I can let her coast towards the hill in the road and when she starts up the hill ill put it in drive and have to press the pedal down a good bit to get up the hill

and a real steep hill I tested i had the pedal to the floor and she just climbed right up the hill

Why in the WORLD!! is this thing stuck in 3rd? out of all ive read and found online - its in limp mode all symptoms fit

damn thing has no insurance, inspection, or tags on it currently so I cannot drive it to any shops

dont have money to tow it either!!!

Old 05-31-10, 09:09 PM
not much'I' can offer!!
92-non obd11(2) not diagnostic -friendly
i forget-is there an 'eng lite' flashing/ or at times?
(still a 'guess' a solonoid problem-whitch one??)

Old 05-31-10, 09:17 PM
i sadly dont know enough about transmissions to guess on my own

it has OBD and it has a TCU somewhere

but no check engine lights are on
and I of course dont have equipment to read any possible TCU codes

nor can i get the vehicle to a shop to have them do it

blah...

Old 05-31-10, 11:55 PM
hrmm

after more digging I found the TCU is located Floor behind center console beneath the radio etc..

this unit was replaced already about 3 months before I parked the car....

WELL... I used a light to check the diagnostic codes on the OBD Port

simple really
attach ground to pin 12 and attach positive to pin 6 - read the pulses

OK.. WELL...
NO Pulses, Nothing nadda, I checked all pins on the OBD connector and NO power anywhere...

would this mean the Shift Computer / TCU is dead AGAIN???

what the heck lol

does a DEAD / Non existant TCU make the tranny essentially Dumb itself down to prevent damage?

Old 06-01-10, 08:23 AM
possible blown fuse.
does the 'eng lite' test out-when the key is cycled?

Old 06-01-10, 08:40 AM
checked the fuse for A/T its good

the engine light and all other lights do their thing - when key is first turned on they are all on then after a few seconds they all switch off

I unplugged the actual TCU and just out of curiosity checked the lights

its weird -- with the tcu unplugged all the lights checked out like normal too.. You figure a check engine light would come on but nope..