What is causing paint finish to wear off?

Old 05-29-10, 03:36 PM
What is causing paint finish to wear off?

These spots started to appear about a year ago on my 1996 Honda Accord and have been growing ever since. Is this somehow normal wear? It just looks like a coat of paint is wearing away for some reason. I was in an accident four years ago and had sections of the car repainted but to my knowledge the trunk and the roof were not painted. It looks like the clear coat is just peeling off. Did I do something bad such as not washing the car enough to cause this to happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-10, 04:02 PM
defective paint,or application process

Old 05-29-10, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by jjtbay View Post
It looks like the clear coat is just peeling off. Did I do something bad such as not washing the car enough to cause this to happen?
Ya, that's the clear coat peeling
It's caused in part by exposure to the elements. Regular washing [and wax] might have prevented or slowed down the degrading of the clear coat.
The only fix is to sand it off and repaint.

Old 05-29-10, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Would spray cans of clearcoat help with this or would this be best left to a professional car painter?

Old 05-29-10, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you sand off the clear coat you'll also sand into the color coat. More than likely, just spraying some more clear over that would result in an unsightly job. Best to sand it all down and then either spray it with an automotive enamel or color coat/clear coat.

Old 05-31-10, 09:47 AM
Clear Coat problem

This is common and contrary to what many believe happens to all models and makes of cars. Waxing and keeping the car under cover will help delay or possibly prevent this. At this point the only way to correct this problem is to let a professional remove the damaged clear and paint, reprime and repaint. Using rattle cans will not produce an acceptable result. You may ask the painter to use a clear with a good rated UV protection factor which will again retard this problem from happening again. Be aware that if you do not address this problem soon the areas will develop rust and that is something you want to avoid at all costs

Old 05-31-10, 10:15 PM
paint

I have patched up a couple by sanding then painting with acrylic enamel. Looked pretty good and held up well.