2000 Civic Hard Shifting

Old 05-31-10, 11:26 AM
2000 Civic Hard Shifting

My civic has been shifting very oldly in recent months. During acceleration the shifting seems to be fine, with the exception of a slightly hard shift once in awhile. Occasionally when getting on the highway it takes 30 seconds to shift into 5th in the winter when I am up to speed, it doesn't seem to do it in the summer so I'm thinking its the cold temperature, I live and work about 2 minutes from the highway so I don't think its warmed up enough.

The main problem is at speeds under 50km/hour, and gets worse the slower I go. When turning a corner or slowing down in traffic I take my foot off the gas, when I go to accelerate it shifts extremely hard, almost like its not sure which gear to be in. I am assuming that the transmission is on its way out, but could it also be a computer problem where the computer is having trouble selecting gears? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-10, 11:36 AM
Looking at basic maintenance possibilities first, what is the condition and level of the transmission fluid and when was the last time both the fluid and the filter were changed? What is the mileage on the car and what was the last mileage when the recommended transmission fluid maintenance was performed?

Old 05-31-10, 11:44 AM
I had the fluid changed about 6 months ago. I also added some lucas transmission fix but that did nothing. I have had the car for about 5 years, this was the first time that I have changed it but I know it was done shortly before I got it. The car has 140000 miles on it. I don't believe that this car has changeable filter, at least thats what the shop who changed the fluid said.
When I check the fluid, it looks just like it did coming out of the bottle, it isn't burnt or anything, still bright red.