Very rarely stereo loses all power 92 Chevy

Old 06-02-10, 03:45 PM
Very rarely stereo loses all power 92 Chevy

I know, it sounds like a connection, right? Here's the deal:

92 Chevy Lumina 4-door sedan, Euro with 3.4L
JVC in dash stereo I installed myself many years ago.

Very rarely, the stereo loses all power and settings. This happens VERY RARELY, every 2 to 8 months. Never twice in the same month.

It can happen while the car is off, sitting in the driveway.
(how do I know? I'll come out to go somewhere and the default CD player will start and all presets will be gone)

It can happen while the car is going down the road with the stereo OFF OR ON.
(How do I know? It will suddenly go dead and there will be no power/lights to the display, but everything else on the dash retains power)
When this happens all is well the next time I start the car. All the presets are gone, etc., but everything works fine.

I can find no way to repeat/re-create this. Pounding on the dash, going over bumps, does not cause or remedy this.

The stereo does not act like it has a power issue. No pops or crackles that might indicate a loose wire.

I suspect, but have not proven, that simply turning off the car and turning it back on will fix this... the few times it has happened while driving I have forgotten to test it. It always works the next day though.

Again, it only happens very, very rarely.

Could it be the ignition switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-10, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking the radio... If everything else stays on, as you say,, I suspect the radio itself to be the problem... Roger

Old 06-03-10, 12:51 AM
That would be no big loss, I wanted to replace it anyway... just wanted to see if I could get to the bottom of it first.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-10, 04:04 AM
I have since replaced the stereo with a Sony. All the connections seemed good on inspection and I have not yet experienced a problem, though it has only been a week.

Search this Thread