Issues after installing car stereo

Old 06-09-10, 04:47 PM
Issues after installing car stereo

Ok so hubby installed a new car stereo for me...now there's no beep when using the remote to lock/unlock the car, the station presets reset occasionally on the stereo(like it lost all power), not sure if it has anything to do with it but my car battery recently died on me, umm, that's all I can think of right now. Anyone have any ideas before I have to spend more money and take it somewhere? lol

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-10, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Year, make, model?

Old 06-12-10, 06:39 PM
sorry, it's a 2004 Subaru Forester

Old 06-13-10, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
The dead battery may have something to do with the remote; loss of presets sounds like an intermittent power loss from either a loose connection at the radio hookup or the battery cables. Was the battery replaced?

Old 06-13-10, 12:24 PM
I haven't replaced it yet, I did buy one, just have yet to put it in. I plan on doing that tomorrow. The stereo was put in several months ago, and that was when the car stopped making the beep sound when locked/unlocked with the remote. I'm worried that the wiring is wrong on the stereo, but not sure if that could cause it. My options are to try to do it myself or spend money I don't have to have someone fix it. (since i don't have a job outside the home, any "housework" is left to me to deal with) I'm not sure the battery dying has anything to do with the stereo. I left the interior light on overnight and the next day the battery was dead. Jumped it off husband's work truck, drove it for half an hour & expected to have no more probs. Couple days later (nothing was left on) it was dead again. I can't remember if I have ever replaced that battery before, it could just be time The thing i DO know started after the radio was installed is the lack of noise when locking/unlocking. Like I said I'm wondering if he wired something wrong, or hell even maybe a fuse, but I don't know how to check those

Old 06-24-10, 07:29 PM
i had stereo installed into my taurus. it started blowing brake lights. had it replaced with a new one. same problem. replaced it with different model - never had an issue until it was broken in an stereo stolen. just my 2 cents. fortunately, it was done "professionally", so they did all replacements under warranty.

Old 06-24-10, 07:38 PM
Factory radios on newer vehicles have vehicle sound functions built in like the beeping or warning chimes.

Radios sold in stores will typically not have these functions built in.

Old 06-24-10, 09:46 PM
IMHO all an aftermarket stereo does is destroy a car,, lots of problems after getting a "new" one put in,, & I've never seen a professional quality install in my 20 years of fixing cars... If the OEM is broke,, get it fixed.. The dealers have repair programs to fix them up... Roger

Old 06-30-10, 09:05 PM
Bad battery.

Your battery is shot. When you start vehicle the amperage draw is so high there is no reserve to keep memory of the stereo. When the battery sits up a while it doesn't have the power it needs. Newer vehicles need more power when the vehicle is not running...sitting parked...to feed the onboard electronics, computer, stereo, etc. Wife's Taurus SHO did the same thing earlier this summer. Car started fine, just lost presets on radio, clock, and got to where electric locks would not work. I changed battery and everything is peachy keen.
Wife happy=me happy...LOL!
If you have had the battery more than 3 years...get a new one.
Ooops...sorry. You said you already had one.

Old 06-30-10, 09:09 PM
Here's the clue...

Quote"The stereo was put in several months ago, and that was when the car stopped making the beep sound when locked/unlocked with the remote."
Just a coincidence that radio and battery problems happening.
Seriously, change out the battery, clean the connections, and spend 2 dollars and put felt battery washers on battery posts.
If you have top posts that is....Have a good Fourth of JUly...

Search this Thread