Trans question on a 2002 dodge p/u

Old 06-10-10, 07:14 PM
Trans question on a 2002 dodge p/u

Hi guys, I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive, 4.7 engine,(89,000 miles) auto transmission that does not move when I accelerate. I mean it does move but the rpms go up to about 2500 but the truck is only going about 5-10 mph. I asked a few guys at a auto parts store and one of them said that it could be a clutch package inside the trans itself. I then took the truck to auto zone (because the engine light was on) and they hooked up the machine and it spit out a p1776 code which said there could be several things wrong. One was a gear shifter linkage which I checked and was fine, the other was a LR solenoid latched open or something like that, and the other was internal trans problems. My question is what is a LR solenoid and where can it be found on my truck and what other things should I be looking for without having the trans removed. . P.S. I did check the fluid and it was full when hot. thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-10, 03:44 PM
1776---L/R solenoid latched closed.

Comon issue with mopar transmissions. L/R solenoid is on the valve body. With the solenoid stuck, fluid pressure is diverted past the low range, so the truck "Failsafes" to low gear, and sets a DTC.

Now the hard part........The Valve body must be removed, the solenoid pack, which houses ALL of the solenoids must be replaced. One step even harder, is once the passages , springs and valves have been compromised, The Body itself must be replaced.

A quick word on the shift linkage.......YOU CANNOT "EYE_BALL" IT TO KNOW IF IT IS CORRECT!!!!!!

A few thousandths of an inch is all it takes for a Range sensor to read incorrectly and transmit invalid data. So....IMMEDIATELY...Take the "It Looks Good" theory, krinkle it up and throw it away.

Proper diagnosis of trans concerns require specialized tools and training, Which I'm sorry to bash the Guys at the Big Box Auto Stores, But Free scans Just dont cut it , and Guesswork in this field can easily be more costly than taking it somewhere and having it fixed.

Old 06-11-10, 05:11 PM
Unclediezel thanks for the reply. Is this something that a guy with moderate mechanical ability can do or should I take it to a trans place? I believe I can do this if I have a manual on how to do it and where to find everything on the truck. Are there any sites on the web that I might be able to refrence. If I have to take it to a mechanic what is the ballpark pricetag. Thanks again.

Old 06-11-10, 06:18 PM
Do-able????----Yes. But plan at least a few days without your vehicle.

Recommended????---Not really. This is not an "Introductory" type project. Anything that does not go as expected can be disastrous at the end.

I work For Chrysler, and since most of the ones Ive seen lately are still under warranty, I dont have a price tag, But figure 4.5 hours of labor. (Warranty time lists for 3.6)

Old 06-12-10, 07:55 PM
Thanks again for the reply. If I drop the pan and remove the filter I should have access to the valve body correct? and from there I can remove the electrical connection from the trans and then remove the solenoid and then replace it, is that correct? I am extremely limited on cash and really cannot afford to have someone do it, if I do it on the weekend I might be able to do it. Any suggestions on where to get info on how to do it? One other question, if I don't do anything what is the worst that can happen. Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-12-10, 08:21 PM
Thumbs down

'I understand-tight cash'
but advise- not to attempt this your self-(no trans knowledge/or hands-on =previous work )
also-ALL-electronic parts - are NON returnable!!