2001 Hyundai Elantra overheating and AC start blowing just regular air.

Old 06-12-10, 01:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 Hyundai Elantra overheating and AC start blowing just regular air.

Hi,

This is my problem.

When I start car and staying in one place my car is not overheat and AC work frizzing cold.
When I start running my car in beginning temperature and AC work perfect ( under half ) but after 5-10 miles my car start heat up ( temperature go up to 3/4 but newer reach Heat mark) AC still blowing cold air for 2-3 more minutes and after that start blowing just like mild air.
When I stop on signal light my temperature go down to 1/2.
I flushed radiator,changed thermostat,antifreeze coolant and coolant temperature sensor but still same problem. Overheating 3/4 and AC blowing mild-hot air.
If anyone have same problem or know answer fill free to e-mail me.
[email protected]

Thank you guys,
Jasmin

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-10, 04:15 PM
Did someone change the Cooling Fan Motor & get the wires mixed up so the cooling fan is blowing backward??? Trying to push air out the front of the car instead of pulling it in??? Just a thought... Roger

Old 06-12-10, 05:23 PM
T
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Did someone change the Cooling Fan Motor & get the wires mixed up so the cooling fan is blowing backward??? Trying to push air out the front of the car instead of pulling it in??? Just a thought... Roger
I think problem is in cooling fan but I spend to much money trying to fix it and I like to be 100% before I spend any $.

Old 06-13-10, 09:07 AM
T
Question

Anyone?
Please post here if you have anything.

Old 06-13-10, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Possible blown head gasket...
When the temp goes up, the computer turns off the A/C compressor to avoid boil over.
A radiator shop or garage could easily test it cheaply. I think there are even kits available at parts stores.

Does your oil look ok...no milky foam type stuff on the dipstick? Or a milky foam around the radiator cap? Have you had to keep adding coolant?

May also have air in the cooling system...make sure you have bled any air according to manufacturer recommendations. Sometimes you need to put the car on ramps so the rad cap is the highest point.

It sounds like you already spent some money just throwing things at it hoping they would fix it. Testing before attempting repair is a prudent thing to do.

Old 06-13-10, 08:13 PM
>>>Quote:Anyone?
Please post here if you have anything.<<<
Let us know if you have done any Diag & what the results are,,, Roger

Old 06-14-10, 04:31 PM
T
Question

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Possible blown head gasket...
When the temp goes up, the computer turns off the A/C compressor to avoid boil over.
A radiator shop or garage could easily test it cheaply. I think there are even kits available at parts stores.

Does your oil look ok...no milky foam type stuff on the dipstick? Or a milky foam around the radiator cap? Have you had to keep adding coolant?

May also have air in the cooling system...make sure you have bled any air according to manufacturer recommendations. Sometimes you need to put the car on ramps so the rad cap is the highest point.

It sounds like you already spent some money just throwing things at it hoping they would fix it. Testing before attempting repair is a prudent thing to do.
Oil look OK.Radiator CAP ok. Coolant level is OK.First thing what I was doing with my friend taking out old Freon pull out air frome the line with his vacuum machine.
In the morning AC and temperature are OK ( drive 20 Miles without problems) afternoon first 5-10 miles AC and temperature run good after 5-10 miles temperature go up to 3/4 and AC blow cold air maybe 1-2 min after start blowing mild air. When I stop for red light temperature go down to 1/2. This is crazy.
I changed Thermostat lower housing,new gaskets,2 thermostats, new antifreeze, cooling temperature sensor and still same.
Maybe I need to let you know sometimes my car need some time to start.Change spark plugs,spark plugs wire, battery,fuel filter and oh yea guy is mechanics for NASCAR and he put rebuild engine and new timing belt. maybe is problem there.

Old 06-15-10, 04:03 PM
T
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
>>>Quote:Anyone?
Please post here if you have anything.<<<
Let us know if you have done any Diag & what the results are,,, Roger
I think it's timing belt.

Old 06-15-10, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You are only guessing...and that's a bad guess.

Go find a good mechanic...or keep spending money on unnecessary parts...

Old 06-30-10, 09:51 PM
M
What's up with AC?

Why were you pulling vacum on AC? Did you have a leak? If so did you fix it? Lots of questions...
Usually you pull vacum for atleast 30 minutes to get all moisture (noncondensibles) out of system. Then when you hook up guages you bleed air out of guage lines by letting freon from tank push air out hoses with hose unhooked from suction line then attach. There is a nameplate under hood with exact charge in oz. Put in exact amount and should be good on ac. Lets say the nameplate says 22 oz. Cans are 12 oz. each. Put in 2 cans=24oz. You can put a slight amount more than it says as accumulator tank can take up some slack. Not a whole lot though. Sounds like you have noncondensibles in system causing the orifice to ice up. Also with R-134A pressures kind of go screwy when there is moisture in system. Got to pull GOOD vacum.
Back to the cooling fan. Does it run when you switch on ac? It should come on if not immediately shortly there after. You have to have that or temp will go up and condenser won't remove heat properly. Also is should blow air across the radiator/condenser from front of vehicle towards rear of vehicle.
Check this stuff before changing anything else.
One last thing. Is the guy doing AC certified? You can be seriously injured with AC system if not careful. Not trying to be a smart azz.
Let us know.

Old 06-30-10, 09:59 PM
M
Sorry...forgot.

Freon doesn't get old. It can become low due to a leak. You have to find leak and then pull vacum, then charge to proper level. Sounds like you have messed up cooling fan and then with that AC stopped cooling as it should when temp rises.
Like what was said earlier the computer controls that. When engine temp gets higher than normal it will shut down the compressor to take load off of the radiator and thus the engine.
Cooling fans are controlled by temperature rise. Some vehicles use computer to turn it on and some have a sensor (bi-metal switch). I would see if fan comes on. If not take meter to fan connector and see if you are getting 12 volts DC. If so then replace fan motor. You got to have fan when using AC.
Let us know...Have a good Fourth of July. Marty.