Mazda MPV 96' code P1170

Old 06-17-10, 12:14 PM
Mazda MPV 96' code P1170

I need to understand why this code (P1170) comes up so frequently. I have replace the oxygen sensor two times. When I do replace it the vehicle then passes smog. Also, my smog recently failed. HC (ppm) meas. 123 max. 50 and 94 max. 34.....is this bad? as well CO meas. 1.76 max. .64 and 1.65 max .77. both at their perpestive mph. 15 and 25. What can I do to get it to pass smog?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-10, 07:29 PM
The most common cause of that code is intermittent or poor connection at the front O2 sensor that code is for the heater in that sensor.However with the high HC count I feel you might have a bum cat as well.Try clearing the code going over the connection and cleaning and inspecting for heat stressed wiring(Use an electric contact cleaner on the connections) then
run the engine @ 1500 to 2000 rpm for at least 3 min if the code comes back after this,You have either another bad sensor, bad spot in the harness or ECU problems (least common). Like I said before the HC is too high and you may still have a bad cat since you didn't mention any drivability problems (poor idle,low power) and if you drove for a while before installing the first one you might have killed the cat so to speak.
Good Luck

Old 06-26-10, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
The most common cause of that code is intermittent or poor connection at the front O2 sensor that code is for the heater in that sensor.However with the high HC count I feel you might have a bum cat as well.Try clearing the code going over the connection and cleaning and inspecting for heat stressed wiring(Use an electric contact cleaner on the connections) then
run the engine @ 1500 to 2000 rpm for at least 3 min if the code comes back after this,You have either another bad sensor, bad spot in the harness or ECU problems (least common). Like I said before the HC is too high and you may still have a bad cat since you didn't mention any drivability problems (poor idle,low power) and if you drove for a while before installing the first one you might have killed the cat so to speak.
Good Luck
good advice!
most owners do not realize the damage caused to the cat converters-by driving around with the check engine lite 'on'
!!

Old 06-26-10, 09:54 PM
cool

Thanks for the reply. I have now cleared the code, I then replaced the spark plugs and roter. The van then past the high rpm smog check but did not pass the low rpm (15 mph). HC is real close to passing but the code has not come back. I will check the wires as suggested. You mention that the CAT may need to be replaced. Yes, at times there lacks power but not all the time, idle is good. How much do you think a CAT would cost and will it sovle the overall smog issues.

I want to sell the van but perhaps $500 or $600 may not be too bad as the van is dependable.

Should I sell it or not?

Old 06-26-10, 11:13 PM
In my area a new cat installed is about 150 to 275 depending on the difficulty in getting to it. You should be Ok replacing it and keeping the rig unless you have other issues with it.