2002 chevy impala

Old 06-18-10, 08:13 AM
2002 chevy impala

two questions

1) the high beams do not stay on. Is the multie switch bad? Is it difficult to replace. Is it somthing else.

2) The recirculate button will not tight up. It is stuck on the out side air.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-10, 01:09 PM
Do you mean that when the high beams are on that they shut off and then come back on again and so on?

Old 06-18-10, 05:15 PM
You do realize that the lever gets pushed " AWAY FROM YOU" to activate high beams dont you?????

Also, If the car is equipped with an "AUTO-DIMMER", when an approaching vehicle is detected by your photosensor, your high beams disengage.

Now ,Beside the obvious mentioned Items, Your Multi-Function switch may or may not be at fault. Some cars incorporated the switch signal to a Body Controller, Which in turn would activate the proper feature. Others have a "High beam "Dimmer" switch on the steering column which is activated by a Hinge and pushrod setup.Dimmer switches are cheap, Multi switches, ----Well -----Not so Cheap, and body controllers Can range anywhere up to half the resale value of the car in some cases.

I hate to be a Killjoy, But Maybe it is time to put this in someone elses capable hands before the car eats your wallet for lunch.

Old 06-18-10, 08:17 PM
First the high beams
work then you (PULL) the lever NOT(PUSH) when you let the lever go the lights revert back the way they were.
Second yes it is a multi switch. I was trying to find out how much a pain in the a-- it is to replace.

Old 06-18-10, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by gosserwb View Post
First the high beams
work then you (PULL) the lever NOT(PUSH) when you let the lever go the lights revert back the way they were.
Second yes it is a multi switch. I was trying to find out how much a pain in the a-- it is to replace.
when 'U' pull the lever- that is what is called "flash/ the high lights"-(as in to pass a vehicle)
try pushing the lever as
UNCLE suggested

Old 06-19-10, 06:19 AM
I thought this was a great site to help people fix car or trucks
however I an finding that the people responding generaly do not know what they are talking about. I my case they are trying to tell me to push the lever to turn on the high beams which will break the lever off. You have to pull the lever to get the dam thing to work. This is the way american cars are made now on the other hand foreign made cars they are correct. The only info I have recived so far that is helpfull is that it might be that the car has an auto dimmer. I have to ck that out.

Old 06-19-10, 08:51 AM
however I an finding that the people responding generaly do not know what they are talking about. I my case they are trying to tell me to push the lever to turn on the high beams which will break the lever off. You have to pull the lever to get the dam thing to work. This is the way american cars are made now on the other hand foreign made cars they are correct. The only info I have recived so far that is helpfull is that it might be that the car has an auto dimmer. I have to ck that out.
sorry i replied to your question,
won't make that mistake again.

Old 06-19-10, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Guys...I was curious...so I looked up the manual. Although many GM cars of the same year used the push for high beams...for whatever reason this one used "pull towards you".

Per the manual..."To change your headlamps from low beams to high
beams, or high to low, pull the multifunction lever all
the way toward you. Then release it."

Wondering if that controls a relay or is just a switch in the lever? Can't really tell from Autozone schematics...but it looks like it's just the switch..

Old 06-20-10, 04:05 AM
Hmm........??????

Well.....For starters, Im a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". Having said that, You came here for free advice, and that is what you got.We didnt e-mail you and Offer advice, You came here and asked for it . Frankly, I shouldnt give a flying pigs Tail, Because My High beams work just fine. And besides, It is Unwise as well as extremely Obnoxious, to be Insulting to someone who tried to help you, whether they were correct or not.

Pull the Shrouds off of the steering column and look at the lever while pulling it-----Is it completely "Self Contained in M/F switch????----Is there a metal rod that goes to another switch on the column????

Old 06-20-10, 05:19 AM
sorry if I offened anyone It just pissed me off that I know which way the lever gets pulled to turn on the high beams. just a little up date. I replace the mulit switch with one from the bone yard and it now works fine.

Old 06-20-10, 06:34 AM
ok.....Point taken.....and apology accepted.

Just for an explanation....I work at a Chrysler dealership.You cant begin to believeThat I spend twice the amount of time, explaining the features on a car, than I do actually repairing things. The best one is a parking brake. The pedal says "Press to release", but the customer INSISTS on looking for a pull handle on the dash. You are a name, in a box, on my computer screen. I dont know you, I dont know your level of intelligence, I dont know if the car was just purchased by you,...etc.etc. And more importantly, I cant see the car....You can.

Glad its fixed.

Old 06-20-10, 07:22 AM
Any idea how i can find out what opitions this car came with. Can I trace the vin # to find out . I got this car from my father in law when he pased away. It only has 4000 miles on it.

Old 06-20-10, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
I believe that with a VIN the dealer can call up the original "production sheet" or "build sheet"? Basically it's everything that the car was originally built with. You'll need a helpful person at the service desk....

Can't remember where I heard or read that...here maybe, Car Talk, some magazine?

Old 06-20-10, 08:57 AM
In the trunk, either on the spare tire cover, or on the lid itself, or possibly on the Glovebox liner, there should be a paper label, approximately 6x8 inches, with a bunch of codes on it. Its called an RPO label, and will look something like this.....
Once you find the label.....Google the individual #s .

Old 06-20-10, 03:21 PM
thanks I found the list and tracking the #