'94 Thunderbird LX 3.8L Power Booster Leak

Old 06-21-10, 12:45 PM
'94 Thunderbird LX 3.8L Power Booster Leak

When sitting with my foot on the brake I hear what sounds like a hissing sound coming from under the driver's dash panel.

If I back out of the driveway, hit the brake shift to forward, and turn the wheel to straighten out and head down the street, it suddenly feels like I've lost my power steering until i get going.

My dash vents when in AC or max AC mode are randomly switching from dash to floor to defrost mode.

Could all this be related to a leak in the power booster perhaps where it enters into the firewall? How difficult is it to pull it out and inspect without further messing something up? What should I look for once off?

I have checked and looked around all over the motor looking for vacume leaks but have found nothing other the hissing from under the dash while the brake pedal is depressed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-10, 09:17 PM
I suppose you could take it to a deserted parking lot, remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster and plug it with a cork or whatever, then slowly drive and see if that solves the problem.

Then replace the hose before driving home (for safe braking).

Remember you have the emergency brake to stop if your regular brakes don't work well with the vacuum hose removed.

Old 06-22-10, 11:28 AM
Guess i could try it just backing and moving forward in the driveway. That's the large diameter hose on the front of the power booster correct? I assume it just pops in/out of the grommet?